Stretch Your Hamstrings Twice Daily
One often overlooked contributor to lower back pain is tight hamstrings. If your hamstring muscleslocated in the back of your thighsare too tight hamstrings your lower back and sacroiliac joints will be stressed, leading to more pain. Hamstring stretching should be done carefully and at least twice per day for 15-30 seconds each time.
There are many gentle stretching exercises that should not hurt.
What Are The Treatments For Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain usually gets better with rest, ice and over-the-counter pain relievers. After a few days of rest, you can start to get back to your normal activities. Staying active increases blood flow to the area and helps you heal.
Other treatments for lower back pain depend on the cause. They include:
- Medications: Your provider may recommend nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or prescription drugs to relieve pain. Other medications relax muscles and prevent back spasms.
- Physical therapy : PT can strengthen muscles so they can support your spine. PT also improves flexibility and helps you avoid another injury.
- Hands-on manipulation: Several hands-on treatments can relax tight muscles, reduce pain and improve posture and alignment. Depending on the cause of pain, you may need osteopathic manipulation or chiropractic adjustments. Massage therapy can also help with back pain relief and restore function.
- Injections: Your provider uses a needle to inject medication into the area thats causing pain. Steroid injections relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
- Surgery: Some injuries and conditions need surgical repair. There are several types of surgery for low back pain, including many minimally invasive techniques.
Ice Packs Or Heat Pads
When you experience chronic and acute pain in your lower back, neck, and some of your body parts, you have a variety of treatments to help relieve discomfort and get you feeling better as quickly as possible. That includes using ice packs or heat pads to help relieve pain and even help reduce inflammation and swelling.
Using cold and heat therapy has been an effective way of dealing with body pains, including lower back pain. However, since its inexpensive and simple, many people tend to disregard this treatment and overlook the benefits theyll get from it. For lower back pain, the use of ice packs or heat pads narrows the bony canal of your spine, resulting in compression of your nerves. Thats why youll feel relief and comfort after a few minutes of application of this treatment.
Also Check: How To Correct Back Pain
Common Causes Of Chronic Back Pain
Chronic back painis usually age-related, but can also result from a prior injury. The mostcommon causes include:
- Arthritis of the spine the gradual thinning of the cartilage inside the spine
- Spinal stenosis narrowing of the spinal canal that may lead to nerve pain
- Disc problems, such as a herniated or bulging disc
- Myofascial pain syndromeunexplained muscle pain and tenderness
In some cases, its difficult to pinpoint the cause of chronic back pain.If your doctor has exhausted all diagnostic options, its time to seek asecond opinion from a back pain specialist, recommends Nava. Itsimportant not to make rushed decisions or undergo extensive medicalprocedures until the origin of the pain is found. Not only may they nothelp they could make the pain worse, warns Nava.
If the source of the pain is not known or cant be treated, your bestoption may be to work with your doctor on reducing the flare-ups and makingthe pain manageable with nonsurgical treatments.
Support Your Body In A Warm Pool
The buoyancy of the water lets you enjoy the benefits of exercise with less pain. Exercising in water also helps regulate the functioning of nerves and muscles, relieving pain.14
If you prefer warmer pools, look into water exercise classes and hydrotherapy pools. Water therapy exercises are often done in water that is about 83 degrees to 88 degrees. Hydrotherapy pool temperatures are often more than 90 degrees.
You May Like: What Causes Lower Back Pain That Shoots Down Your Leg
Common Signs And Symptoms Of Lower Back Pain
Back pain affects everyone differently, which makes sense considering there are so many different reasons it can develop, along with various parts of the back/spine that can be affected. Common signs and symptoms of lower back pain can include:
- Tenderness and pain radiating from the low back downward into the thighs. This is likely to be worse when walking, exercising, standing or moving.
- Stiffness in the lower back and reduced range of motion. In moderate to severe cases, this can stop you from walking, bending, climbing or lifting normally.
- Pain when sleeping or once standing up in the morning.
- Inability to stand up for long periods or worsened pain when you do.
- Discomfort near the tail bone while sitting, especially when sitting for long periods, such as at work or when driving.
- Muscle weakness, heaviness or numbness near the thighs and lower back.
- Sharp pains following a sudden injury, impact, trauma, collision or fall .
Conventional Treatment for Lower Back Pain Relief
Today, the most common conventional treatments for lower back pain relief are medications, including NSAIDS like aspirin and Tylenol, along with more potent prescription painkillers, such analgesics. These drugs can potentially cause adverse side effects in some patients and commonly dont solve the underlying causes of lower back pain . Some medications for back pains have even been tied to complications, such as liver damage or intestinal bleeding, when taken for long periods of time or in high doses.
Quick Natural Remedies For Hip And Lower Back Pain That Work Wonders
- Take some camphor, adding it to some coconut oil, boiling it up for 5 minutes. Bottle it and massage twice a week before going to sleep to rid yourself of pain in these areas.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a bucket of warm water before adding to your bath water to get rid of body pain.
- Put a hot water bottle on your back supported by a cushion while you are watching TV or resting. The heat relieves the pain.
- Massage mustard oil in your back and hip before you shower, which should be a hot-water shower.
- Add a pinch of turmeric and a few drops of honey to a glass of warm milk and drink regularly to rid your body of body pain plus theres the bonus of it being good for colds and coughs too.
- Add a bit of ginger to your brewing tea it helps to relieve hip and lower back pain.
You May Like: How To Ease My Back Pain
Best Superfoods & Herbs For Back Inflammation
The #1 food for lower back inflammation pain is by far Turmeric. It can actually replace your NSAIDs all together and is fully backed by thousands of studies.
You can take Turmeric in standardized capsules or you can easily add it to your meals.
If you want it to be fully potent, add just a little black pepper and healthy fat to make it most bioavailable.
If you dont like the taste of Turmeric, you can add it to your green smoothie .
If you add a banana in there, or a few dates, you wont feel the taste at all.
Always use organic Turmeric to avoid nasty chemicals.
Not only is ginger a culinary marvel, but its health benefits are also stunning.
Ginger has some extremely potent anti-inflammation compounds, called gingerols.
There are many studies proving how effective ginger can be in the fight against inflammation when consumed regularly.
Studies have found that Ginger has the ability to inhibit nitrous oxide and is helpful for all general inflammatory processes.
The best way to use Ginger would be adding it fresh to your meals or your green smoothies . You can find fresh organic ginger root powder here.
3. Fish Oil
Fish oil can effectively ease inflammation and pain caused by many chronic conditions. The dose used in most convincing research is 2 to 4 grams of DHA + EPA daily.
Make sure to get fish oil from organic-raised fish, without additives and clean from heavy metals and toxins, like this one.
Bonus Tip: Consider Taking A Vitamin D3 Supplement
If your doctor agrees, consider taking a vitamin D3 supplement. Vitamin D is essential for bone, neuromuscular, and immune system function. Taking a vitamin D3 supplement can help reduce back pain by increasing the absorption of calcium in your body and improving bone strength.15
Finding the perfect pain relief technique is usually a process of trial and error, making it worth exploring various approaches. Try these natural pain-relieving strategies for your back pain and see what works best for you. Severe pain that is not relieved by self-care must be evaluated by a health professional for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
Don’t Miss: What Type Of Doctor To See For Lower Back Pain
What Should I Know About Back Pain
Back pain is a very common problem and will affect many of us at some point during our lives.
The good news is that in most cases it isnt a serious problem, and it might just be caused by a simple strain to a muscle or ligament.
As far as possible, its best to continue with your normal everyday activities as soon as you can and to keep moving.
Being active and exercising wont make your back pain worse, even if you have a bit of pain and discomfort at first. Staying active will help you get better. Taking painkillers can help you do this.
Sleep On Your Side Like This
If you have this habit of sleeping on your side, make these slight changes in your sleeping position.
- Draw your legs up slightly towards your chest.
- Try to keep your top leg from falling over your bottom leg. For this, take help of a pillow as described in the next step.
- Place a pillow between your legs. If possible, use a full-length body pillow.
- You can also place a small, rolled-up towel under your waist.
- Now sleep without the worry of getting back pain in the morning.
Also Check: How To Sleep To Help Back Pain
Get Enough Restorative Sleep
Pain is a leading cause of insomniadifficulty with falling asleep and/or staying asleep. Inadequate sleep can also make your back pain worse. This vicious cycle makes it more difficult for you to get restorative sleep.
Getting enough restorative sleep is needed for the bodys tissues to heal and recharge energy levels. If you have trouble sleeping, it is important to address pain or other factors that are causing it. Your doctor might recommend lifestyle changes, medications, or other treatments depending on what is disrupting your sleep.
Sleep On Your Back In A Reclined Placement
Do you really feel most comfy snoozing in a recliner? Although oversleeping a chair might not be the most effective option for back pain, this placement can be helpful if you have isthmic spondylolisthesis Consider buying an adjustable bed so you can sleep this way with the very best positioning as well as support.
Read Also: How To Help Back Pain From Standing All Day
Relieving Your Back Pain
When you are suffering from an ache or struggling to get lower back pain relief, it may seem difficult to take a proactive approach to the matter. However, alleviating such aches may be largely within your control. If you make some simple changes in habit and lifestyle, you might be pleasantly surprised by the results. At North Texas Medical Center, we take great pride in helping our community achieve better health. If you are suffering from backache, call us at , or contact us online today.
How To Get Rid Of Lower Back Pain Through Stretching
Like exercise, there really are no disadvantages to stretching. A solid 15 minutes of stretching every day can help loosen tight muscles and give you an extra boost of energy. You can do this any time of day, too. Some people prefer stretching in the morning to get their day going, while others stretch at night to get relaxed before bed. Another good way people can stretch is by taking five minutes throughout the work day to do a few stretches. This goes hand-in-hand with helping your posture as well as relieves the tight muscles you get from sitting or standing all day.
Not only to you loosen up your muscles, but stretching gives you increased blood and oxygen flow throughout your body and helps to relieve stress, which is common throughout the workplace. You can stretch out your lower back, where you feel the pain, or you can stretch out your entire body so you can get an all-over relaxed feel.
You May Like: What Dr Do You See For Back Pain
Using An Inversion Table For A Pinched Nerve
At a cost equivalent to a couple of visits to a chiropractor, an inversion table can naturally relieve low back pinched nerve pain, potentially avoiding the need for office visits and pills.
Inverting 2-3 times a day, at an angle of 60 degrees or more, helps release the muscles that contribute to pinched nerves, and allows the spine to decompress and stretch the tight muscles that support the spine.
Innova Inversion Table best value in 2020
Inverting 2 to 3 times per day, ideally to an angle of 60 degrees or greater, allows the spine to decompress and stretches the constricted and tight muscles that support the spine.
The spinal discs can re-hydrate with fluid and increase the space between each vertebra, creating more room for the nerves that pass through openings in the spinal column.
See the 4 best-value inversion tables for back pain in 2020.
Inversion Table Alternatives
If you are one of the people who feel an inversion table is not for them, there are great alternatives for inverting, that can produce the same effect.
The Spinal Stretch
What Not To Do When You Have A Bulging Or Herniated Disc
Its natural to want to look for ways to relieve pain and prevent a reoccurrence of a herniated or bulging disc, but there are some dont that you should pay attention to as well, such as:
- DONT put off a diagnosis or treatment plan. Complications can arise.
- DONT jump right back into your regular activities when you start to feel better
- DONT lie in bed all day. You only need about 48-72 hours of rest. After that, you must get up and get moving to prevent doing more damage to your spine
- DONT lift anything heavier than what your chiropractor recommends
- DONT do anything that will jerk your spines, such as amusement park rides or dancing
- DONT wear high heeled shoes
- DONT sit on very low types of furniture, such as beanbag chairs.
- DONT do any activity or exercise that causes you to twist your back or do straight leg exercises, such as sit-ups with straight legs.
- DONT go running until your chiropractor OKs it. Walking is OK, running or jogging is not.
If this article has been helpful to you, please feel free to share it with others who might also benefit from the information.
If you have low back pain or believe you might have a herniated or bulging disc, or if you have suffered from sciatica, dont hesitate to request an appointment for a same-day appointment. We will gladly check with your insurance for coverage and will work hard to restore you to a life full of excitement and activity. No one should live in pain. Please call us today.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Treatment For Back Pain
How To Reverse A Pinched Nerve In Lower Back
2020/05/23 by Meital James
When it comes to healing from a pinched nerve in the lower back, early diagnosis is critical to prevent further damage and complications.
But whats really confusing is that youll be offered the exact same pinched nerve treatment, whether youre diagnosed earlier or later.
Nice colorful pills. Those will be offered to you as a solution.
But the average doctor will teach you absolutely nothing about fixing the root cause of your pinched nerve, how to heal it completely and prevent it from coming back in a month or so.
Nor will he tell you that medication only covers up the symptoms and that the pain will come right back, if you dont address the root cause.
Here youll find the best alternative, safe and natural treatments for a lower back pinched nerve, and how to fix whats been causing it in the first place.
How To Get Rid Of Sciatica Pain Naturally: 5 Steps That Help
If youve had sciatica, then you know the pain it can cause in your lower back or legs. It can range from mild, annoying pain to sharp, burning pain, or can become excruciating. Sciatica can often be mistaken for a disc injury, lower back pain, pelvic pain, or hip pain. And knowing how to get rid of sciatica is crucial to getting you feeling healthier and happier.
Also Check: How To Treat Upper Back Pain
Ask Your Doctor About Biofeedback
In recent years, biofeedback a type of mind-body technique that uses electrical sensors to help you make subtle changes in your body has grown in popularity as an effective way to manage back pain. A suggested that biofeedback could reduce the intensity of back pain and muscle tension, both as a standalone treatment and when combined with other treatments.
Ways To Naturally Treat Your Pain
Practice yoga. Holding downward dog for five to ten seconds can help stretch your back muscles. This motion reduces pressure that can build up in the lower spine and cause pain. Remember to also tilt the pelvis under to avoid any further lower back strain. Pigeon pose is another great posture for backaches. Hip muscles can quickly become tight and shift strain to the back. Stretching out hip flexors and extensors can alleviate back pressure and pain.
Use capsaicin cream.Capsaicin is a substance found in chili peppers. When used medicinally it helps reduces the amount of substance P, a neurotransmitter that leads to pain impulses in the brain. One study showed that after 3 weeks of capsaicin use, patients had a significant reduction in pain. To use: apply topically, at least twice per day, for maximum relief. The warm sensation also allows you to stretch and move without pain.
Try acupuncture.Research suggests that acupuncture can help reduce chronic low back pain. One recent review showed that actual acupuncture was more effective than simulated acupuncture or no treatment in reducing pain. It’s not entirely known how acupuncture regulates pain however, one theory suggests acupuncture helps trigger the release of pain reducing chemicals in the body . Back pain is one of the most common reasons patients first try acupuncture and many find sustained relief.
If your back pain is persistent or excruciating, you should see your personal physician urgently.
Also Check: What Causes Lower Back Pain On Your Left Side