Can A Massage Gun Make Back Pain Worse
Incorrect use of a massage gun can worsen back pain. Factors that could increase pain include:
- applying the massage gun directly to the spine
- using the massage gun at too high an intensity
- using the massage gun for too long
A person should start out with brief sessions that are both low speed and low intensity. If this feels comfortable, a person can gradually increase the speed or intensity.
When To Call The Doctor
Most back pain gets better after a few weeks. But you should call the doctor if:
- Your pain is constant or intense, especially at night or when you lie down.
- Your pain spreads down one or both legs.
- You feel numbness or tingling in one or both legs.
- Youâre losing weight without trying.
Go to the emergency room right away if you have any of these symptoms:
Also Check: Does Epsom Salt Help Back Pain
Can Further Bouts Of Back Pain Be Prevented
Evidence suggests that the best way to prevent bouts of low back pain is simply to keep active and to exercise regularly. This means general fitness exercise such as walking, running, swimming, etc. There is no firm evidence to say that any particular back strengthening exercises are more useful to prevent back pain than simply keeping fit and active. It is also sensible to be back-aware. For example, do not lift objects when you are in an awkward twisting posture.
Don’t Miss: Can Osteoporosis Cause Low Back Pain
About Orthopaedic & Spine Center Of The Rockies
The physicians and staff of the Orthopaedic & Spine Center of the Rockies have taken great pleasure in serving the people of northern Colorado, Wyoming, and Nebraska since our founding in 1969.
Our orthopaedic surgeons have advanced training or board certification in surgery of the back and neck, hand and upper extremity , hip, knee, shoulder, foot and ankle, orthopaedic trauma, and joint replacements.
Living With Lumbar Strain
Cold reduces swelling. Both cold and heat can reduce pain. Protect your skin by placing a towel between your body and the ice or heat source.
- For the first few days, apply an ice pack for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After the first few days, try heat for 15 minutes at a time to ease pain. Never sleep on a heating pad.
- Over-the-counter medicines can help control pain and swelling. Try aspirin or ibuprofen.
Don’t Miss: Can Ibs Cause Lower Back Pain
Heat Or Ice Treatment
Warm compresses or cold compresses can help to quickly relieve pain in your rib cage caused by injuries, inflammation, or other painful causes.
According to researchers from the University of Rochester Medical Center, a cold pack or compress can help to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation in the first 48 hours after an injury. After that time, you should use a warm compress to increase circulation and reduce muscle spasms and stiffness.20
To make a warm or cold compress to treat rib pain in your middle or upper back, this is what you should do:
Cold compress for injuries to your middle back
Warm compress for back rib pain
Hot and cold compresses are also excellent natural remedies for relieving lower back pain.
What Causes Lumbar Strain
Injury can damage the tendons and muscles in the lower back. Pushing and pulling sports, such as weight lifting or football, can lead to a lumbar strain. In addition, sports that require sudden twisting of the lower back, such as in tennis, basketball, baseball, and golf, can lead to this injury.
Certain risk factors can increase the risk for this injury. The risk factors are:
- Severe lower back curvature
- Weak back or belly muscles
- Tight hamstrings
Recommended Reading: Can Your Back Cause Hip Pain
What Is Physiotherapy Treatment For Middle Back Muscle Pain
When the muscle pain is not relieved after the home treatment & pain medication then the doctor has advised physiotherapy treatment to release muscle pain.
Physiotherapy treatment is help you relieve pain, swelling, spam & tightness of the muscle pain.The physiotherapy treatment includes massage, electrotherapy treatment & exercise therapy.
What Is Lower Back Pain
Low back pain can result from many different injuries, conditions or diseases most often, an injury to muscles or tendons in the back.
Pain can range from mild to severe. In some cases, pain can make it difficult or impossible to walk, sleep, work or do everyday activities.
Usually, lower back pain gets better with rest, pain relievers and physical therapy . Cortisone injections and hands-on treatments can relieve pain and help the healing process. Some back injuries and conditions require surgical repair.
Don’t Miss: How To Relieve Lower Left Back Pain
When To See A Specialist For Lower Back Pain
If you’re experiencing lower back pain that’s not responding to rest and self-care, it’s time to consider seeing a spine specialist.
“A spine specialist will likely perform a physical exam as well as one or more imaging scans to diagnose the root cause of your lower back pain. Depending on your diagnosis, he or she will then design a treatment plan aimed at alleviating your pain and preventing it from disrupting the everyday activities you enjoy,” says Dr. Palmer.
What The Doctor Does
Doctors first ask questions about the person’s symptoms and medical history. Doctors then do a physical examination. What they find during the history and physical examination often suggests a cause and the tests that may need to be done .
or stool … read more ).
Doctors may ask the person to move in certain ways to determine the type of pain. Doctors typically ask the person to bend forward and backward. They may have the person lie flat and then lift their leg without bending the knee to see if it brings on pain, which would suggest a herniated disc. Doctors may also check a person’s abdomen for tenderness or a mass and the pulses, particularly in people over 55, who may have an . They may examine the prostate in men by doing a digital rectal examination and the internal reproductive organs in women by doing a pelvic examination.
With information about the pain, the persons medical history, and results of a physical examination, doctors may be able to determine the possible cause.
Recommended Reading: How To Beat Back Pain
When To See A Healthcare Provider
Most cases of back pain last for a few days and resolve completely within a few weeks. If you have sudden, new back pain, contact your healthcare provider.
There are a few warning signs that immediate care is needed:
- The pain persists for more than a few days or is worsening.
- The pain wakes you up at night.
- You have a fever, chills, or other signs of infection.
- You have problems with bladder or bowel control.
- There are other symptoms you cannot explain.
When You Should Go To The Er For Back Pain
If your back pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms, head to your closest emergency room because you could be dealing with a more serious condition or injury:
- Sudden spike in pain, discomfort, weakness or numbness
- Loss of bladder function
- Unexplainable weight loss
- The pain results from a fall or severe blow to your back
If you experience any of these symptoms, its a good idea to talk to your doctor so you can determine next steps for managing pain.
Also Check: Can Obesity Cause Back Pain
You May Like: How To Stop Back Pain When Sleeping
What Are The Causes Of Back Muscle Pain
In most of the cases, Low Back Pain is caused due to irritation or inflammation of a muscle, joint, or ligament. Usually, these conditions arise due to muscle, ligament or joint strains as a result of repetitive bending or stooping, or lifting heavy objects. Repeated heavy lifting, improper lifting postures, sporting injuries where an athlete puts undue pressure on the back tend to cause excessive pressure on the muscles of the back resulting in Back Muscle Pain.
Overuse And Repetition Of Everyday Activities
Every day, the little things we do can have a big impact on the amount of stress we put on our bodies. Examples include:
- Driving or sitting for long periods of time
- Repetitive motion activities such as walking, bending over, exercising or typing
- Lifting both small and heavy objects
- Sleeping in an odd position or on an old mattress
Also Check: Can Back Pain Cause Breast Pain
What Is The Outlook
Most of us will have a bout of nonspecific low back pain at some point in our lives. The severity can vary. However, it is difficult to quote exact figures as to outlook . This is partly because it is so common and many people with back pain do not consult a doctor. Roughly, it is thought that:
- Most nonspecific back pains ease and go quickly, usually within a few weeks.
- In about 4 in 10 cases, the pain has completely gone within four weeks.
- In about 7 in 10 cases the pain has completely gone within one year.
However, once the pain has eased or gone it is common to have further bouts of pain from time to time in the future. Also, it is common to have minor pains on and off for quite some time after an initial bad bout of pain. In a small number of cases the pain persists for several months or longer. This is called chronic back pain.
Dont Wait To Get Relief: Learn More About Your Chronic Back Pain Treatment Options
If you have chronic back pain, chances are youre experiencing more than aching discomfort.
Youre not able to pick up your kids or grandkids. Youre missing out on your favorite activities. Youre not living your best life. And an active physical therapy program can help you get you back to it.
To learn more about the TRIA Neck and Back Strengthening Program, schedule an in-person or video visit consultation.
Ready to heal your chronic back pain? Get started by scheduling a consultation appointment.
You May Like: Can Infection Cause Lower Back Pain
When Should I Wear A Back Support Belt
A back support belt is not designed for long-term or all-day use. A person who wears a back support belt too frequently can actually weaken their core muscles, or cause them to atrophy, which could worsen their back problems. Spending too much time in a back support belt can irritate the skin, causing chafing or sores.
It can be helpful to wear a back support belt when doing strenuous activities or anything a person knows might make their back hurt. It is best to limit use of a back support belt to a few hours a day, for a few days, or under the guidance of a physician.
Did I Pull A Lower Back Muscle How Do You Treat A Pulled Muscle In The Lower Back
True muscle strains are rare. Most muscle pain in the lower back is due to muscle spasms from other Lumbar spine injuries. Disk injuries are more likely. If there is muscular pain, consider trying a warm shower or even an ice pack initially. Gentle movement exercises may help, such as lying on the back, bending both knees, and gently rotating them together to each side, without pushing into pain. Start with 5 to 10 reps. Gentle yoga may be helpful once the acute symptoms improve. Modalities such as ice or heat can certainly stop the back muscles from going into a spasm.
Don’t Miss: What Helps Lower Back Arthritis
How Soon Will I Feel Better
Depending on how severe your original muscle strain is, you should feel better in a few weeks. Talk to your healthcare provider before resuming any intense physical activities.
If you start working out or playing sports again before your muscle is healed, youre at an increased risk of re-injuring it and hurting your muscle worse than the original strain.
What Is Surgery Treatment For Back Muscle Pain
After the medical treatment & physiotherapy treatment pain is not relieved then the doctor is advised surgical treatment.
Surgery for back muscle pain is very rare.but If a patient has a herniated disk surgery is only an option.
Some surgery for back pain include :
- In this technique, two vertebrae are joined together, with the help of a bone graft that is inserted between them.
- The affected vertebrae are splinted together with the metal plates, screws & cages.
- It is a sign of greater risk for arthritis which subsequently develops in the adjoining vertebrae.
- Artificial disk:
- When the cushion of the vertebra is affected then An artificial disk is inserted & replaces the cushion between two vertebrae.
- A portion of a disk is removed which is irritating & pressing against a nerve.
- Partially removing a vertebra:
Also Check: Why Does My Lower Back And Stomach Hurt
What Are The Symptoms Of Back Muscle Pain
The symptoms of Back Muscle Pain may vary from being just a subtle discomfort to being a severely incapacitating pain. Some of the symptoms of Back Muscle Pain are:
- Localized back pain without any radiation to the lower extremities
- Presence of tenderness or spasm in the back
- Sudden onset back pain, especially with heavy activities.
Who Gets Back Pain
Anyone can have back pain however, several factors increase your risk. Risk factors increase your chance of developing back pain and can include:
- Fitness level: Back pain is more common among people who are not physically fit. For example, weak back and stomach muscles may not properly support the spine. Back pain is also more likely if you exercise too strenuously after being inactive for a while.
- Weight gain: A diet high in calories and fat, combined with an inactive lifestyle, can lead to obesity. This can put stress on the back.
- Job-related risk factors: Jobs that require heavy lifting, pushing, pulling, or twisting can injure the back. A desk job may also play a role, especially if you have poor posture or sit all day in an uncomfortable chair.
- Age: Back pain becomes more common with age, particularly after the age of 45.
- Heredity: Genetics play a role in some disorders that cause back pain.
What Are Home Remedies For This Middle Back Pain
- You are applying to ice the area & later apply to heat.
- It is one of the most common methods which is provided immediate relief.
- You are taken to consider taking to over-the-counter pain medication like ibuprofen & naproxen to reduce the swelling & pain.
- Stretch & strengthen the middle back muscles by doing exercises like yoga.
- You must be improved your posture release to middle back muscle pain.
- Use some steps include to :
- Must keep your shoulder joint back during the standing position.
- Avoid slouching posture.
- Take standing breaks if you sit for long periods.
- If you do a desk job must be adjusting your chair & computer monitor height, keyboard & mouse positioning which is provided to your good posture.
Can I Prevent Lower Back Pain
You cant prevent lower back pain that results from disease or structural problems in the spine. But you can avoid injuries that cause back pain.
To reduce your risk of a back injury, you should:
- Maintain a healthy weight: Excess weight puts pressure on vertebrae and disks.
- Strengthen your abdominal muscles: Pilates and other exercise programs strengthen core muscles that support the spine.
- Lift the right way: To avoid injuries, lift with your legs . Hold heavy items close to your body. Try not to twist your torso while youre lifting.
Recommended Reading: What Type Of Doctor To See For Lower Back Pain
Symptoms Of Back And Rib Pain
Because upper and middle back pain can have a number of causes, there are also many accompanying symptoms to back and rib pain. Some of the symptoms of back rib pain include:
- Sharp or jabbing pain in the middle back due to a strained or pulled muscle
- Bruising and swelling around the injured area on your back
- Middle back pain that worsens when stretching, coughing, or breathing deeply
- Dull aching discomfort to the left or right of your spine
- Tense back muscles and painful muscle spasms
- Pain that radiates from the back and wraps around the rib cage
Exercises To Prevent Low Back Pain
Lie on the back with the knees bent, the heels on the floor, and the weight on the heels. Press the small of the back against the floor, contract the buttocks , and contract the abdominal muscles. Hold this position for a count of 10. Repeat 20 times.
Lie on the back with the knees bent and feet on the floor. Place the hands across the chest. Contract the abdominal muscles, slowly raising the shoulders about 10 inches from the floor while keeping the head back . Then release the abdominal muscles, slowly lowering the shoulders. Do 3 sets of 10.
Lie flat on the back. Place both hands behind one knee and bring it to the chest. Hold for a count of 10. Slowly lower that leg and repeat with the other leg. Do this exercise 10 times.
If a specific cause can be diagnosed, that disorder is treated. For example, antibiotics are used to treat a . However, there is no specific treatment for musculoskeletal pain due to sprains or strains nor for many other musculoskeletal causes. But many general measures can help. Usually, these general measures are also used when a spinal nerve root is compressed.
Read Also: How To Stop Chronic Back Pain