Massaging Back Of Legs
Hot Stone Or Himalayan Salt Stone Massage
Both hot stone massage and Himalayan salt stone massage involve smooth, sterilized rocks that have been heated in distilled water. Your licensed massage therapist may place them along your back, and also use the stones as an extension of their hands.
Similar to heating pads, hot stones are great for back pain for the following reason:
- They cause blood vessels to dilate, increasing the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients to the area
- They stimulate sensory receptors, which decrease pain transmissions to the brain
- They cause muscles and soft tissues to become more pliable and less stiff, which alleviates pain
What Type Of Massage Is Best For Lower Back Pain
Structural massage Basic full body massage that focuses on key points that affect mobility. To start off the person getting the massage should move their joints and limbs to see where the pain is most. Then the massager uses static pressure by holding down on the target spot to sink into the tissues. Then the massager uses static pressure with passive motion. This is when a target spot or joint is found and the massager moves it in a slow motion while applying a mild pressure. Next is static pressure with intensity. This is when you find a targeted spot and apply pressure while the person getting the massage moves their joint or limb their self.
Swedish massage A Swedish massage is a relaxation massage. This is great therapy for lower back pain. The whole goal is to get the person receiving the massage relaxed as possible. The massager will get the muscles tension to decrease by doing 5 basic techniques:
- Gliding When you move gently up and down or side to side.
- Kneading Usually done with two hands lifting the tissue.
- Friction Circular compression against the targeted area
- Vibration Actually vibrate the targeted area with hands.
- Thumping Use force to apply consistent thumps slightly aggressive
Recommended Reading: Aleve Good For Back Pain
Giving Massages For Neck Pain
This massage targets the neck which can be strained from long hours of computer usage.
How to perform this massage:
This massage targets the strained muscles at the back of the neck. The muscles at the back of the neck tend to be strained due to prolonged mobile phone usage where your neck is kept downwards for a long period of time.
Lower Back Pain Can Be Relieved With Stretches And Massage
Are your evenings full of lower back pain from sitting at your job, or driving the kids around to all of their activities? Does it make it difficult for you to even plan out anything enjoyable to do with your family at night? If you suffer from lower back pain, know that you do not have to live like that. There are quite a few things that you can do to help alleviate your pain, no matter what type of activity, or lack thereof, caused it. Here are some great things to do to help stretch out your lower back to reduce or eliminate your pain.
Also Check: Will Aleve Help With Back Pain
For Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Tennis Elbow
Just beyond your elbow, all the muscles on the back of your forearm converge into a single thick tendon, the common extensor tendon. At the point where the muscles converge, in the muscles that extend the wrist and fingers, lies one of the more inevitable trigger points in the body: Perfect Spot No. 5. It is constantly provoked both by computer usage today, and more often by the use of a pen in simpler times and by the occasional tennis match, then and now, or maybe crocheting.
|for pain: in the elbow, arm, wrist, and hand||muscle: extensor muscles of the forearm, mobile wad , extensor digitorum, extensor carpi ulnaris|
How Do I Give A Back Massage
You can use lotion, cocoa butter, oil, or lanolin for a massage.
- Put a small amount of warm lotion or oil on your hands. Rub your hands together so the lotion is spread evenly on your hands.
- Move your hands slowly during the massage to help the person relax.
- Start massaging the back at the lower back. Move your hands upward on both sides of the spine all the way to the shoulders.
- Make a circular motion as you move your hands upward. Press a bit more firmly with your thumbs as you make the circles.
- Move across the shoulders and start moving down the upper arms. Use less pressure as you move downward.
- Ask if you are applying too much or too little pressure as you massage. Ask the person to tell you if he feels pain in any area. Do not massage a painful area, or massage it very gently.
- Apply more lotion on your hands as needed.
Also Check: Is Aleve Good For Lower Back Pain
Back Massage Techniques For Children
Among the home remedies for back pain, massage therapy is a safe and effective option both for adults and children. Below are some back massage techniques specific to children.
Massage Techniques To Ease Back Pain
Back pain comprises about 40% of work absences. Since your back carries the most weight and physical stress, it can cause strain on the back muscles and ligaments supporting the spine. Back pain, tension, and stiffness can limit mobility and affect the quality of your life. Symptoms may last up to 6 weeks or less or as long as 3 months . In some cases, back pain can be described as insufferable, interfering with your daily social roles and activities as it can increase pain or cause further injury.
Although bed rest and application of heat or ice can help improve the symptoms, massage for back pain offers a better solution that helps relax your tired and sore muscles.
Don’t Miss: Aleve And Back Pain
How To Do A Back Massage:
You can provide a back massage to a friend or family member with just a few tools and some basic massage techniques, or even teach them how to give you one. Heres a video on how to massage your lower back:
Keep in mind that you should never put pressure on the spine directly. To avoid harm and discomfort, only apply light pressure.
How To Do A Self
You can massage yourself if you have the right techniques. Here are a few ways you can give yourself a massage at home.
Tennis ball method
Foam roller method
Read Also: Is Motrin Good For Back Pain
Improved Range Of Movement
If the muscles in your buttocks become weak from lack of use or inflamed because of overuse, infection, or other irritation, you may experience difficulty with muscle movement. Tight glutes can be uncomfortable, and they can even limit how well you move.
Butt massage can ease the tightness in these muscles. A physical therapist or massage therapist can then work with you to stretch these muscles. This can help you slowly regain range of motion and improve strength and circulation.
Backpacks & Back Pain: Massage Techniques To Ease The Pain
Back pain is often associated with adults spending long hours in front of the computer, and can be caused by sedentary office jobs. But back pain is becoming increasingly common among children. What causes back pain in kids? Overloaded or improperly worn backpacks are often the culprit. In the video below, a massage therapy instructor from Carrington College shares some techniques for back pain relief and prevention, including how to give a massage to children.
You May Like: Is Aleve Or Ibuprofen Better For Back Pain
Expert Techniques From A Massage Therapy Instructor
If youre looking for the perfect way to surprise that special someone in your life, consider giving him or her an all-out, deeply relaxing back massage. While store-bought items can be great, they cant beat a really good back rub. You dont have to be a trained professional to successfully give a high quality back rubwatch this massage video and learn the key beginner massage techniques to give a relaxing and memorable massage.
Quadratus Lumborum Muscle Massage
The quadratus lumborum muscle extends throughout your lower back and consists of several layers. This muscle is an extensor of the spine, allowing you to bend backward. The muscle also helps you bend your torso sideways.1
The quadratus lumborum muscle can become fatigued, stiff, strained, and/or painful when you perform certain daily activities, such as:
- Lifting that requires leaning over something, for example, getting groceries out of the trunk of your car
- Leaning over a sink while doing dishes
- Sitting slumped in a chair
- Running on uneven pavement
A sharp, stabbing, urgent pain in your low back may indicate a hypertonic quadratus lumborum. Sometimes, you may feel a dull, constant ache with some degree of stiffness.
The quadratus lumborum muscle may also develop painful trigger point nodules, cause entrapment of nerves within its fibers, or be subject to direct trauma, causing lower back pain.1
The muscle must be stretched and massaged simultaneously by your therapist in order to reduce lower back pain.
See Non-Surgical Treatments for Lower Back Pain
Don’t Miss: Mayo Clinic Lower Back Pain Exercises
How To Massage The Lower Back
This article was co-authored by . Marty Morales is a Professional Massage Therapist and the Founder and Owner of the Morales Method, a manual therapy and body conditioning business based in the San Francisco Bay Area and in Los Angeles, California. Marty has over 16 years of massage therapist experience and over 13 years of experience educating others on the best practices for massage therapy. Marty has over 10,000 hours of private practice logged and is a Certified Advanced Rolfer and Rolf Movement Practitioner, CMT. He has an MBA in Finance from Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles. This article has been viewed 155,989 times.
The lower back can become tight or sore for many different reasons. A few activities that cause tight lower back muscles include prolonged sitting at a desk, leaning over a sink, lifting heavy objects without bending your knees, or running on uneven pavement. Fortunately, you can help alleviate a friend or client’s lower back discomfort or even your own by loosening the sore muscles with massage.
What You Should Do After A Massage
Eat It is best to eat light after a massage. Fresh fruit is a good choice, it will help you restore energy and hydrate you at the same time. Another food that is good to eat after a massage is nuts. Nuts can give you the protein that you need after a massage without making you feel sluggish and adding too much calories to your body. Make sure to drink a lot of water. This will keep you hydrated and help your body flush out what is released during a massage.
Have a bath Taking a bath after a massage is a good thing. During a massage your body is going through a therapeutic process. Taking a bath after can further the therapy and allow your body to release certain toxins. It can also be a soothing relieve on your muscles. Taking a warm bath can keep your muscles warm and gets the blood flowing.
Rest Make sure that when you get a massage you have time after to rest. You shouldnt get a massage right before work or doing any tough activities. Give your body time to gather itself and heal from any previous pain.
Recommended Reading: Back Pain Cleveland Clinic
Massaging In The Back
- Sit at your partners head, preferably in a kneeling position. Sit on a pillow for extra knee support. Rub a few squirts of oil between your hands. Place your hands, palm down, at the base of your partners neck, with the spine between your thumbs.
- Glide your hands down your partners back, staying next to the spine. At the top of the buttocks, glide your hands out to the top of your partners hips, then slide your hands up their sides and onto their shoulder blades.
- Make several circles with your whole palms over the shoulder blades.
- Starting with hands-on their shoulder blades, glide your hands down their back with your hands moving toward each other so they come together over the top of your partners buttocks. Again, glide over the top of their hips, then slide your hands back together over their low back.
- Slide your hands up their back with the spine between your thumb edges.
- At the top of the shoulders, slide your hands out over the tops of their shoulders and then slide them back together to the base of your partners neck. Repeat 3 5 times.
- Starting at the base of the neck, slide your palms out over the tops of your partners shoulders. Slide onto their very upper arm and then slide each palm all the way down their arms, onto their hands and then slide off their hands with your fingers going between theirs.
- Repeat these strokes 3 5 times, varying direction and combining them as you like. Use more oil as needed.
What Causes Lower Back Pain
Many people with low back pain fear unnecessarily that their pain is related to structural problems and spinal fragility, which is normally not the case.
Lower back pain can be attributed to a number of factors, including physical activity, injury, poor posture, obesity, stress and even the simplest of movements like picking something up incorrectly.
Read Also: How Much Advil Can I Take For Back Pain
How To Give Yourself A 5
- 16 Jan, 2019
- 2 min read
People suffer from back pain for a variety of reasons. Massage can provide relief for athletes suffering from sore muscles or individuals who are dealing with chronic pain. Even new moms carrying around babies may find that their lower backs give them trouble. Whatever the case may be, using a portable massager for back pain relief is a quick and efficient way to achieve athletic recovery or find some relaxation.
With a Moji 360® massager you can give your lower back a massage any time its bothering you, feels tight or is sore from a workout. Even just a few minutes can provide relief and energy to get on with your day.
Helpful tips for giving yourself a 5-minute lower back massage:
These tips will help you achieve a quick but effective lower back massage that you can use as part of athletic recovery, following an intense workout or even after a long day at the office.