A Few Tips To Consider With Body Pillow
A body pillow can be used for more than just cuddling during sleep. You can increase its value by using it for more things. For example, you can use the pillow in an outdoor lounge chair or any other patio type furniture. You can use it as backrest while watching television. You can use the pillow for leaning against the wall or as an extra seating during a large party. It can also be used as a bolster for creating support to your body.
Outdoor enthusiasts can take them during camping trips. They can be either kept inside the tent or used for sitting. Body pillows are perfect for tail gating events in outdoor concert or in warm weather. Body pillows are often used by pregnant women. They also continue to provide support while nursing and enough support during first few months. After a year, it can be used as armrest for enough support and safety while they are learning how to walk and stand up.
If you have a pet then make sure it doesnt have the access to the pillow. If it is cat then they may treat the pillow like a scratching post. Or if you have dog then they may claim their domination on this pillow. Whatever the reason might be, the fabric of the pillow can be end up with complete fur which is a complete disaster.
Firmness And Sleeping Positions
The best sleeping position for those with shoulder or back pain varies from one individual to the next. Medium to firm mattresses often work best for back sleepers. Pressure is more evenly distributed when you sleep on your back. Those who sleep on their side are more comfortable with medium to soft mattresses, as it helps relieve pressure on hips and shoulders. Stomach sleepers need medium firmness to avoid too much pressure on the knees. Too much softness can make it difficult to breathe if you have sunk deep into the mattress and may also cause neck pain.
Pillows For Reclined Sleepers
If you sleep best in your recliner, you should try sleeping in a reclined position. This position might help you if your back pain feels worse when standing and best when bending forward. An adjustable bed allows you to customize the angle of support, but these can be pricey. For a cheaper solution and to check if this is the best position for you, try a bed wedge.
This bed wedge folds into a block making it easy to transport. If you have isthmic spondylolisthesis, a wedge can help reduce pain.
Great for a reclined position! This pillow can be used as a wedge or for various other positions because of its unique design.
Your sleep position shouldnt cause back pain. Get some relief by using these pillows for proper alignment.
Read Also: Do Canes Help With Back Pain
Best For Stomach Sleepers: The Mela Pillow
Sleeping on your stomach is the sleeping position most commonly associated with neck pain, and The Mela Pillow can help you reduce that problem.
Mela company claims that The Mela Pillow is suitable for all sleep positions and we believe that to be true, but we find this pillow most suitable for stomach sleepers because it is soft yet supportive. High quality polyester microfiber fill will give just enough support without placing the neck in the wrong angle. No harmful chemicals were used in the production of polyester microfiber fill, and the whole pillow is cruelty-free, hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial.
The cover is made of cotton and it is the machine washable. The cover is breathable so you wont be hot during the night.
Pillow Support And Comfort
Having the right bed pillows is not only comforting, they play an important role in supporting the intricate structures of the head, neck, shoulders, hips, and spine. When used well, pillows help in alleviating or preventing many common forms of back and neck pain, as well as shoulder, hip, and other forms of joint pain.
Pillows serve to keep the upper body in alignment during sleep, relieving pressure and counterbalancing the points in the body. The pillow should adjust to fit one’s unique shape, curves, and sleeping position and alleviate any pressure points.
Recommended Reading: What To Do For Bad Back Pain
Cervical Pillow Buyer’s Guide
If you decide to search for a cervical pillow to alleviate your neck pain by merely heading to Amazon or another site and searching pillow for neck pain, you are going to receive an overwhelming number of results. It is incredible to see just how many different neck support pillows are on the market today.
Going into this shopping process without a general idea of what you are looking for might not be the best approach. Our buyer’s guide aims to answer any questions you may have about the best neck pain pillows and where to find them, taking into consideration your sleeping positions and preferences.
What Our Editors Say
“I have this lumbar pillow support set for my work-from-home setup. Since adding it, I’ve noticed my posture improve and I have less fatigue from sitting in front of my laptop and monitor all day .” Ashleigh Morley, Editorial Director of Verywell Health Commerce
Available in standard and large sizes
May not hold thickness for heavier users
Not firm enough for long-lasting support
This pillow is a gel and memory foam hybrid that works to provide relief to those recovering from giving birth or for those with tailbone and lower back pain. It will also relieve any pressure build-up surrounding the sciatic nerve by improving blood circulation.
The mesh covering is completely washable, and the pillow is definitely small and convenient enough for travel.
Material: Gel/Memory foam hybrid | Washable: Yes
Also Check: What Type Of Dr Do You See For Back Pain
Ology: How To Pick A Pillow For Back Pain
Now that weve taken a look at my top picks, lets cover some fundamentals thatll guide you in your search. When youre shopping for a pillow thatll alleviate back pain, its important to consider how its construction will support your preferred sleeping position. Below, Ill tell you how to land on the loft, firmness, and materials that best suit your sleep style, and provide some strategies for relieving back pain as well.
Best Down Alternative Pillow For Side Sleepers
Tuft & Needle Down Alternative Pillow Set
Sensitive to down, but still prefer its light support over the weightiness of foam? Tuft & Needles down alternative pillow a hypoallergenic synthetic that works well for both side and back sleepers. These pillows are sold in sets of two and can be machine washed.
The company offers a 2-year warranty and a 100-night sleep trial.
Don’t Miss: How Can You Get Rid Of Lower Back Pain
How We Tested The Best Pillows For Back Pain
We tested each pillow over several nights and during our trials we considered the sleeping position they were best for, the loft they offered, the material they were made of, and the areas they targetted.
- Sleeping positiondepending on your go-to sleeping positions, some pillows may be better suited to you than others.
- Loftaka the height of the pillow when you’re resting on it. Back sleepers should opt for a medium loft pillow that fits with the natural curvature of the head and neck. side sleeps may need something a little higher to fill the gap between the neck and shoulders, while stomach sleepers benefit most from low loft pillows.
- Materiallook for breathable materials like mesh and bamboo, and hypoallergenic pillowcases. Memory foam fillings are best for those with back pain as it ensures the pillow contours to suit your shape.
- Targeted areaconsider how the brand markets the pillow and what specific area it promises to relieve tension for. Some pillows are designed to ease lower back pain, while others are created to relieve upper back pain.
Are Body Pillows Good For Sciatica
If you prefer sleeping on your side, there are methods you can try to get a good sleep despite the sciatica pain. You may benefit from using a contoured pillow, shaped to fit snugly and comfortably between your knees. A contoured pillow can help reduce lumbar spine pressure and keep your body aligned.
You May Like: What Causes Lower Back Pain And Diarrhea
Pillow Size Shapes And Loft
Pillows are found in seven sizes:
- Small: 20 x 12 inches orthopedic or cervical pillows.
- Standard: 20 x 26 inches most common type of pillows.
- Super standard: 20 x 28 inches.
- Queen: 20 x 30 inches good for combo sleepers.
- King: 20 x 36 inches good for combo sleepers and as a backrest.
- Euro: 16-26 inches W 16-26 inches L square support pillow, not usually for sleeping.
- Body Pillow: 48-54 x 20 inches best for pregnancy and side-sleeping.
The shape is essential if you suffer from backaches. While theres a wide array of possible shapes, there are two general categories:
- Even: with a non-contoured surface, these pillows are best for back pain issues, especially if theyre made from a material thats easy to mold, like shredded foam or feathers.
- Curved: these orthopedic pillows have a contoured surface that raises the neck to alleviate neck pain.
Pillow loft can be:
- Low: under 3 inches best for stomach sleepers because it doesnt elevate the neck unnecessarily, curving your spine inwards.
- Medium: 3-5 inches best for back-sleepers.
- High: over 5 inches best for side sleepers because it avoids creating gaps between your body and the mattress.
Pillow loft also depends on your position:
- The whole pillow is underneath your head: choose a medium-loft pillow.
- The pillow is only partially under your head: choose a high-loft pillow for the gap.
Take your mattress type into account:
Your body weight influences the pillow thickness:
If your head size is:
If your shoulder width is:
Best Overall: Panda Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow
With Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow, you will get everything you need for comfortable sleep without neck pain.
Panda is a respectable company that uses bamboo the most in the production of its products, including this pillow that has a breathable bamboo cover. This hypoallergenic cover will give you comfort and also will not trap heat like the memory foam from which the pillow is made. 3rd generation memory foam is used which is very durable and will provide you with comfort and support at the same time. In addition to providing great neck support, it must be noted that you get a 10-year guarantee which is definitely a guarantee of quality.
Panda strives to make everything eco-friendly, which includes organic, vegan-friendly, pesticide-free, the use of recyclable boxes and that is truly admirable.
- Smell of the bamboo and memory foam
Also Check: How To Heal Sciatica Back Pain
Size Materials And Colors
EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow has a firm feel. It is 24 inches by 15 inches by 4.8 inches in dimensions. This is a Queen-sized pillow in white. This model is also available in standard size 21 inches by 13 inches by 3.9 inches. The 3rd queen-sized pillow is two inches lower 24 inches by 15 inches by 4.6 inches in dimensions.
What Causes Back Pain And How A Pillow Might Help
There are a couple of different factors that could be causing your back pain during the night. The most common problem and the one that a pillow will help with the most is that your spine is not properly aligned while you sleep. While you sleep, your head, neck, and spine should be in a straight line. If one of these sections is out of line, it can cause irritation or, in this case, back pain.
Recommended Reading: Can Walking Help Lower Back Pain
What Should I Consider When Buying A Wedge Pillow
- Size you should consider the size of the pillow as well your own size. Depending on your height and weight, you might look for different sizes of pillows, and consider the parts of the back theyll reach.
- Incline preferences you should also consider the angle of inclination. Lower inclinations are more suitable for sleeping, while higher inclinations are better for sitting, reading, or watching TV.
- The type of sleeper that you are if youre a hot sleeper, you should opt for cooling, gel memory foam wedge pillows. They usually also have breathable covers made from cotton or bamboo. Also, if youre a restless sleeper, you should opt for lower inclines, so that you dont slide off the pillow during sleep.
- Price the price of the pillow is something to consider before purchase. Try to stay within your budget, but you shouldnt compromise the quality because of the price. If you stay in the price range between $50 and $100, you can expect to get a high-quality pillow, without going broke.
- Return policy sometimes, you buy a product and its nothing what you expected it to be. Therefore, a return policy is essential with expensive pillows. The majority of the companies offer 30 to 90 nights free trial, and if youre not satisfied, you can return the pillow. But, some companies dont offer such an option, so make sure to check the return policy as well.
Best Memory Foam: Tempur
If memory foam is a must, you’ll want to choose one with additional support so it helps reduce movement during the night, Conrad says. “This added support can help avoid additional stress on the side areas of the neck while you sleep.”
His top recommendation is this TEMPUR-Cloud Pillow by Tempur-Pedic. “This pillow is quite durable, and also has adjustable cushioning that you can add or take out to fit what you need,” he says. “It’s ‘Tempur-blend’ filling can be molded or flattened easily to fit the shape of your neck correctly.”
The knit cover is fully removable and can be thrown right into the wash with the rest of your laundry.
Buy it: Price: $52
Also Check: Should I See A Chiropractor For Lower Back Pain
Which Shape Is Best For My Sleeping Position
The right pillow shape for you will largely depend on personal preference, but you might consider paying attention to your doctors medical advice based on your sleeping position. Alleviating neck pain often has much to do with maintaining proper spine alignment, which may be more difficult for stomach sleepers.
Many pillows are made to accommodate a variety of sleep positions, so whether you prefer sleeping on your back or are among the side sleepers, the needed support for your neck is similar. For stomach sleepers, there are still options that may help, though training yourself to sleep on your side may be more helpful for neck pain in the long run.
Learn More: How To Properly Sleep On Your Side
Keep in mind that while some options will include more mobility than others to combat neck stiffness, others will keep you more rigid. Your choice is up to preference and preferably advice from a medical professional.
Best Memory Foam Pillow For Back Sleepers
Nectar Lush Pillow
Made of molded memory foam, this is a supportive, conforming, pressure-relieving pillow available in standard and king sizes. Its a heavyweight, plush pillow with loft and cooling technology, and it works equally well for back and side sleepers. Plus, the whole thing can be thrown in the washing machine.
The Nectar Lush Pillow is new, so there are only a handful of reviews. But they all praise the pillow for easing neck pain.
Recommended Reading: Can Lower Back Pain Be A Sign Of Early Pregnancy
Sleep Innovations Embrace Body Pillow
This product takes your sleeping experience to next level by providing sufficient comfort and support. Sleep Innovations body pillow deserves a place in our list due to its unique features.
Its ergonomic design supports the vital organs and prevents the nerves from getting pinched. High quality memory foam has been used as the filling in order to prevent heat buildup. So, you can sleep throughout the without sweating.
It is also designed to prevent moisture buildup which makes it hypoallergenic. This makes it an excellent choice for people who suffer from allergens. The soft microfiber cover can be removed easily and hand/machine washed whenever it gets dirty.
Ziraki Coccyx Seat Cushion Orthopedic Luxury Chair Pillow
The Ziraki Coccyx Seat Cushion is a true go anywhere pillow to ensure no matter what, your back and tailbone are correctly supported for maximum comfort. Just place the U-shaped seat cushion in your chair, whether at the office, in the car, or while traveling, to alleviate stiffness and soreness.
The Ziraki Coccyx design offers support for tailbone pain, herniated discs, leg and back pain, and more. It is made from 100% memory foam and has a velvet material finish.
For back pain relief, sciatica, and coccyx pain, this luxury seat pillow is ideal for the home and the office.
- Fits everything from your favorite home armchair to your office chair as well as for wheelchair users
- Designed especially for sufferers of sciatica, herniated discs, tailbone pain, and pregnancy-related back pain
- Improves and protects your posture
- U-Shape design has been tailor-made to provide utmost support and comfort
- Made from high-quality memory foam
- Comes with a machine-washable zippered velour cover for easy cleaning
- Covered by a 100% satisfaction guarantee: if you dont love it youll get 100% of your money back
- Memory foam can change according to temperature if the room is warm, it will feel softer, and if the room is cold, it will feel firmer.
Also Check: How To Workout With Lower Back Pain