How To Move A Tempurpedic Mattress
The safe and efficient way to move a Tempurpedic mattress is to use a hand truck with front forklift style runners on the bottom of the pallet, like those that may be used to load construction materials.
Its possible but dangerous. Though one has probably done it before, I would not suggest it as the risk of injury outweighs potential gains.
- You can meet your needs by moving a King Size Tempurpedic Mattress.
- This will make it easier for you to move Tempurpedic Mattress with more people.
- If you have a clear path, you can easily move the mattress.
- If you do not worry about saving money when moving the Tempurpedic Mattress, your mattress will move without any hassle.
- This can be detrimental to you if you do not move the King Size Tempurpedic Mattress carefully.
- Your Tempurpedic Mattress may be damaged if you try to move the Tempurpedic Mattress alone.
- If you do not clear your path before you move the mattress, your mattress may be damaged.
- If you try to save money and spend less when you move the king size mattress, you may be at a disadvantage.
Also Check: Wyoming King Bed Price
What Increases The Chances Of Experiencing Back Pain
There are also a plethora of factors that could make it more likely for someone to develop back pain.
- Age: As we grow older, we have a significantly higher chance of dealing with back pain aging can cause degeneration of spinal discs so they arent as effective at absorbing shock. Its also possible to develop Spondylolisthesis, where one vertebra moves into another vertebra.
- Lack of exercise: If we dont exercise, our bodies can become susceptible to back pain. Also, if our back muscles are weak, the back pain can potentially become more severe. Many studies have shown that exercise can help alleviate back pain. In fact, one 2012 study from Informed Health Online found that exercise can prevent a recurrence of acute back pain in 1 out of 3 people.
- High body weight: For those that are overweight, back pain becomes more likely. One 2016 study, which was published in the journal Medicine, found that higher BMI and waist-hip ratio were associated with high-intensity low back pain and/or high disability.
- Depression and/or anxiety: According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, people with these disorders are more likely to struggle with back pain than people who dont experience anxiety and/or depression.
- Smoking: The Mayo Clinic states that smoking cigarettes cuts down on blood flow to the lower back area and reduces the nutrients that are delivered to the spine. For those with acute back pain, nicotine can slow the healing process.
Can An Adjustable Bed Frame Help With Back Pain
An adjustable bed frame is an upgrade from a traditional mattress foundation. It can fit in nearly any bedstead and works with almost any mattress youre going to find from a reputable manufacturer.
Adjustable bases use a motor to move the frame which in turn elevates you and the mattress. You can either get an adjustable base that lifts just the head of the mattress, or one that respositions both the head and feet.
An adjustable bed frame is great for back pain because by elevating your legs at night, you take pressure off your back. If youve ever put pillows under your knees, you know what were talking about. But the benefit of an adjustable bed frame is that the frame is more comfortable and wont shift throughout the night.
You May Like: Does Motrin Help With Back Pain
Memory Foam Can Be Good And Bad
Whilst theres a range of different ways that a memory foam mattress could hurt your back, not all memory foam mattresses are inherently bad for your back.
There are plenty of people who have reported that a memory foam mattress has actually helped to reduce their back pain.
Brands like Puffy use high-quality and high-density foams to guard against the sagging and material degradation thats common in cheaper memory foam mattresses check out my Puffy Lux Hybrid review here.
Alternatively, if you want a firmer mattress with more support and bounce then I personally recommend the DreamCloud.
And if you follow the points made in this article in regards to choosing the right level of firmness, getting sufficient support, and using the right type of base, then the chance of you being happy with a memory foam mattress could increase.
What Is Back Pain: A Note From Dr Poorbaugh
Before we wrap up, I wanted to include some basic information on back pain that I learned from Dr. Poorbaugh.
According to Dr. Poorbaugh, most medical research is focused on Chronic Low Back Pain. Traditionally, to be defined as chronic someones lower back pain needed to continue for more than three months. But recently, doctors have started using functional brain imaging to illustrate that chronic is not necessarily a time dependent label.
Dr Poorbaugh says that the main determinant of chronic back pain today is central sensitization. According to Dr. Poorbaugh, central sensitization occurs when the central nervous system has lost its ability to dampen or control peripheral stimuli i.e. information from muscles, joints, and nerves.
When your nervous system cant control those stimuli, your peripheral nerves get irritated. This eventually affects your entire nervous system and makes normal activity feel painful .
Recommended Reading: Advil Or Ibuprofen For Back Pain
Extra Mattress Care Tips
Aside from rotating your mattress there are several other things you can do to prolong the life of your mattress and keep it feeling fresh.
First, if your mattress has a removable cover that you can machine wash, its worth taking advantage of this to keep your mattress hygienic. If it doesnt have a cover, invest in a mattress protector to help your mattress last longer. For extra cushioning, pop the best mattress topper you can afford on top as this will breathe new life into an old bed. Some of these have washable covers too.
If you have an accidental spillage or find a stain on your mattress, then dont panic. Our excellent guide on how to clean a mattress has plenty of tips and tricks that will help, whether your mattress needs a deep clean, a quick freshen-up after a recent spill, or something in between.
Not all mattresses can be cleaned in the same way, so always check the label for instructions. For instance, you should avoid getting memory foam too wet, so take care when cleaning those stains. Generally speaking, its worth freshening up your mattress every six months or so, and this can be done easily with baking soda and a vacuum cleaner.
Recommended Reading: How Does Purple Mattress Ship
Mattress Pads And Mattress Toppers
Many mattress pads and memory foam toppers contain cooling gels or are made with cooling fibers to better absorb body heat.
If you want to get techy, you can try an electric mattress pad with cooling options. Many of them let you control the temperature with a dial or a phone app. The downside to electric pads is the expense many cost a few hundred dollars.
You can also go low-tech and get a cotton non-quilted pad to keep cool.
Recommended Reading: Back Pain Advil
How To Decide Between An Orthopedic And Tempurpedic Mattress
When deciding between an orthopedic and Tempurpedic mattress, choose an orthopedic mattress for spine and joint medical conditions, and a Tempurpedic mattress for more general use.
An orthopedic mattress like this would work well for someone with spinal problems since these mattresses provide the right support needed to keep the spine aligned. As discussed in an article from the Journal of Chiropractic medicine, a medium-firm orthopedic mattress relieves back pain. Our orthopedic mattress price guide provides tips and tricks to help you choose the perfect orthopedic mattress for your needs.
However, a Tempurpedic mattress would not work for someone with spinal problems but would be great for someone with chronic shoulder pain. This is because it allows you to sleep on your side while providing excellent support for your shoulders and hips. An orthopedic mattress would not be beneficial for this type of pain.
A person with chronic back and hip pain would be better off buying an orthopedic mattress since a Tempurpedic mattress would not provide the correct support for these conditions. However, a person with sciatica would benefit from using a Tempurpedic mattress since it can adapt to your weight and shape, thus alleviating pain caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve.
What Makes The Birch By Helix Stand Out
- It comes with an optional pillow-top that considerably softens the mattress. Back sleepers should be comfortable with or without it, but side sleepers will want to opt for the pillow-top.
- Latex mattresses are extremely durable, which should be attractive to those with back pain. If a mattress sags, its no longer going to keep the sleepers spine neutrally-aligned.
- Latex hybrids such as the Birch are breathable and cooling, so they should work well for hot sleepers.
The Loom & Leaf is an online mattress that contains multiple layers of high-density memory foam a material thats hard to beat when it comes to pressure relief and comfort. While the foams found in the Loom & Leaf are extremely comfortable, theyre also quite supportive. As weve mentioned with these other products, a mattress needs to have both comfort and support in order to ease lower back pain.
Also Check: Tylenol Or Aleve For Back Pain
Can Memory Foam Cause Back Pain
A memory foam mattress can cause back pain if you dont find the firmness level best suited for you. The ideally firm mattress for your sleep position keeps your spine in neutral alignment while relieving your pressure points.
Side sleepers will be most comfortable on a medium, medium-soft, or soft mattress. Stomach and back sleepers will sleep comfortably on a medium-firm or firm mattress.
Support And Pressure Relief
Support If you are reading this article its likely you suffer from back pain, and this is why support is the most important criteria when searching for a mattress. Support = pushing up into you.
It means giving those areas of your body the assistance they need to relax and de-stress throughout the night.
The area of your body that needs this the most is the lumbar spine . If you are a back sleeper then a mattress that is comfy, plush or soft will cause you to sink in, and will not give your body the support it needs, leaving your muscles tired from working all night to support your mid and low back.
So, If you are a back sleeper or suffer from middle orlow back pain then a supportive mattress is what your body needs.
Pressure Relief Pressure relief is another important criteria when searching for a mattress that helps relieve your pain. Pressure relief = you pushing into the mattress. This is not to be confused with sinking in.
A quality mattress that relieves pressure points should gently but firmly support your body in a comfortable position. What parts of the body need pressure relief? Parts that stick out, particularly the shoulders and hips.
Without pressure relief, these areas are being compressed and are forced to constant stress throughout the night. So, if you are a side sleeper or suffer from hip and shoulder pain then a mattress that gives you pressure relief is whats best for your body.
Also Check: Aleve Or Ibuprofen For Back Pain
What Makes The Level Sleep Stand Out
- The company actually spent years perfecting the Level Sleep mattress, and they have conducted numerous studies to test the efficacy of its design.
- People should feel significantly more support from the lumbar zone when theyre stomach- and back-sleeping, and more pressure relief from the shoulder zone when theyre side-sleeping.
- The Level Sleep should be a suitable option for hot sleepers as well. The foam found at the top is breathable and designed to stay nice and cool.
Read our full Level Sleep mattress review.
Should You Flip Or Rotate Your Mattress
For decades, the common advice in the mattress industry was to rotate and flip your mattress regularly to help extend its lifespan and improve comfort. However, changes to the design of modern mattresses mean that this advice is no longer necessarily true. In the 21st century, should you flip or rotate your mattress?
The answer depends on the design of your specific mattress. Generally speaking, most mattresses should be rotated regularly, but should not be flipped. Well break down the basic guidelines for flipping or rotating mattresses, and explain how regular rotation or flipping can help extend the lifespan of your mattress.
Recommended Reading: Back Pain Cleveland Clinic
Best Mattress For Back Pain For Side Sleepers: Winkbeds Memory Luxe
Coming in hot with seven layers of foam, Winkbeds Memory Luxe will contour around your body like a ball of squishy dough, all while keeping your joints and spine aligned. These seriously comfy features are thanks to the AirCell foam, a type of memory foam made from billions of microscopic shock-absorbing air “capsules.” When pressure increases , each capsule releases air, relieving built-up pressure that causes pain in the shoulders and hips when you sleep on your side. The back gets even more support thanks to the firm foam in the lumbar region. You wont wake up in a puddle of your own sweat, either: The air capsules dissipate body heat, and the top two inches of the mattress contain cooling gel foam that enables airflow.
Best Type Of Mattress For Back Pain
So how can you find the best type of mattress to alleviate your back pain? Certain mattresses are better-suited for people with back pain than others.
- Innerspring mattresses are not ideal for back pain sufferers since theyre made with mostly coils. This type of construction makes for a more firm and bouncy bed, rather that one thats contouring and relieves pressure. Outfitting an innerspring mattress with a foam or latex mattress topper to provide a soft, cushiony layer can help.
- Memory foam mattresses are great for sleepers with back pain. The material does a nice job of evenly distributing body weight across the surface to prevent pain in the pressure points, especially for side sleepers.
- Hybrid mattresses are ideal for people with back pain. Combining a supportive coil layer with a contouring comfort layer on top gives a nice balance that back pain sufferers need.
- Latex mattresses have nice contouring abilities without causing too much sinkage, making them a good match for people with back pain.
Recommended Reading: Advil Or Aleve For Back Pain
Orthopedic Mattress Vs Tempurpedic Mattress Which One Is Right For You
An orthopedic mattress is a mattress that is essentially designed to help support the back, neck, and joints by evenly spreading the bodyweight to help avoid the buildup of pressure on certain points. Well help you discover the differences between an orthopedic mattress vs. Tempurpedic mattress and determine which one is right for your needs.
The advantages of using an orthopedic mattress vs. Tempurpedic mattress are that they alleviate joint pain, are firm, and are suitable for spinal problems. The disadvantages include their high price, indistinguishability, and that they are unsuitable for more than one sleeper.
If you are co-sleeping with someone, a Tempurpedic bed would be the best option since the foam in them does not bounce back and so movement is not transmitted or carried across the bed.
Tip 1 Try Sleeping On Another Mattress
Sleeping on a different mattress for a period of time is one of the simplest ways to determine whether or not your orthopedic mattress is causing your back pain. Try sleeping on a new mattress for a few days, preferably three days in a row, and see what happens. If you wake up with less pain, it is probably your orthopedic mattress that is the source of your discomfort. If you wake up with the same level of pain, then you may have another condition that needs to be seen to. Read our article about choosing an orthopedic mattress for sciatica pain to learn about how your mattress could be causing your discomfort. In this peer-reviewed article from the Journal of The Association of Physicians Of India, a syndrome called foam mattress-back syndrome is described. If youre used to another kind of mattress and suddenly switch to an orthopedic mattress made of memory foam, youll likely get back pain.
Also Check: Advil Or Tylenol For Back Pain
Change Your Sleep Position
Sleep positions are hard to change and what works and doesn’t work will depend significantly on your mattress. For example, if you’re on a firm mattress, sleeping on your side may not be a great option for you .
All other things being equal, back sleeping is the best sleeping position for relieving sciatica pain. This is because side sleeping can put more pressure on your lower back/lumbar region, as well as your thighs and knees.
Most people identify as side sleepers, but they may fall asleep on their back and then turn to their side throughout the night, which can cause a sciatica flare-up.
If youre trying to sleep on your back, you can do a few things to help you adjust: