Chronic Low Back Pain Of No Specific Origin
Low back pain is defined as pain, tightness, and stiffness between the lower end of the rib cage and the buttocks. “Chronic” means the pain has lasted for twelve weeks or longer, and “no specific origin” means the pain cannot be traced to any specific cause, incident, or injury.
Most susceptible are individuals who perform heavy physical work, especially when there is ongoing anxiety, depression, and emotional stress at the same time. The longer the stress and back pain continue, the more difficult it is to ease the symptoms and return the patient to normal functioning.
Treatment involves nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and sometimes opioid medications for pain, though both have risks when used long term. Antidepressants may also be tried, along with psychological counseling.
Corticosteroid injections for the back are effective for some patients, and fusion surgery is sometimes attempted. Lifestyle changes in the form of improved diet, exercise, and stress management are very helpful in most cases.
Top Symptoms: lower back pain, unintentional weight loss, back pain that shoots to the butt, fever, involuntary defecation
Symptoms that always occur with chronic low back pain of no specific origin: lower back pain
Symptoms that never occur with chronic low back pain of no specific origin: thigh numbness, buttocks numbness, lower back pain from an injury
Urgency: Primary care doctor
Arthritis Of The Spine
Arthritis of the spine the slow degeneration of the spinal joints is the most frequent cause of lower back pain. All of us experience wear and tear as we age, and it is normal for your lower back to start acting up as you get older. As the cartilage breaks down between the spinal joints, surrounding tissues may become inflamed. The inflammation and the thinning of cartilage increase friction in the joints, which may cause pain in the lower back.
When To See Your Gp
You should speak to your GP as soon as possible if you have back pain and:
- find it difficult to pass or control urine
- feel numbness or altered sensation around your back passage or genitals – such as wiping after the toilet
- have pins and needles around your back passage or genitals – such as wiping after the toilet
If your GP surgery is closed, phone 111.
Read Also: Is Aleve Good For Lower Back Pain
How To Get Into Bed
To get into bed safely:
When Is The Right Time To Seek Professional Advice
- continues after a few weeks
- worsens or if you have sudden severe pain
- interferes with your quality of life and stops you doing daily activities
- occurs with other concerning symptoms such as incontinence, numbness or weakness in the legs, fever, nausea or vomiting.
- Most cases of lower back pain on the right side are not medical emergencies. However, if you have symptoms of appendicitis, kidney infection, kidney stones or testicular torsion you should see a doctor immediately
Read Also: How Much Advil Can I Take For Back Pain
Other Conditions That Cause Back Pain In Older Adults
We often see a range of less serious but still painful spine conditions in seniors. Most patients with these conditions will not require surgery. Physical therapy, medication, injectable anesthetics, or a combination of treatments usually can control symptoms.
- Degenerative disc disease, which can cause whole spine pain, and lumbar arthritis, which usually causes low-back pain, commonly develop with age and are considered wear-and-tear conditions.
- Sacroiliitis is an inflammation of the joints that connect your spine and pelvis. This condition can cause pain in the low back, glutes, and upper legs.
- Ankylosing spondylitis is an inflammatory arthritis that causes patients spines to become inflexible, resulting in a continual hunched forward position and spine pain.
- We also check for adult degenerative scoliosis and kyphosis, spine-curving conditions that can result in back pain and weakness in the lower extremities.
Facet Joint Pain And Spinal Arthritis
Facet joints are interconnecting joints located at the back of the spine collectively, they give the spine its integrity by limiting excessive movement. Each spinal level has a right and left facet joint. Facet joints are also known as zygapophysial joints.
Facet joints are often the site where bone spurs and other arthritic changes occur. Such changes tend to be related to wear and tear, and at any given level, may occur on one facet joint, but not the others. So when they develop on the right side, they may cause right side back pain.
Other symptoms include numbness, tingling, electrical sensations and/or weakness that travel down one extremity.
You May Like: Is Aleve Or Ibuprofen Better For Back Pain
Treatments For Back Pain From A Specialist
A GP, specialist or physiotherapist may recommend extra treatments if they do not think your pain will improve with self-help measures alone.
These may include:
- group exercise classes where you’re taught exercises to strengthen your muscles and improve your posture
- manual therapy treatments, such as manipulating the spine and massage, which are usually done by a physiotherapist, chiropractor or osteopath
- psychological support, such as cognitive behavioural therapy , which can be a useful part of treatment if you’re struggling to cope with pain
Some people choose to see a therapist for manual therapy without seeing a GP first. If you want to do this, you’ll usually need to pay for private treatment.
Surgery is generally only considered in the small number of cases where back pain is caused by a specific medical condition.
What Causes Low Back Pain
It might develop suddenly, like after you lift something heavy. Or it might come on slowly.
As you get older, the structure of your back begins to show wear and tear. Doctors call it âspondylosis,â which means your spineâs joints, disks, and vertebrae get worse over time. This slow decline can lead to many problems, like the following:
- Strains. This means you overstretch or tear your tendons or muscle. You can do this by twisting, lifting something thatâs too heavy, or lifting something the wrong way.
- Degenerated disks. When these are healthy, they cushion your back as you bend, flex, and twist. As disks begin to wear out, they no longer absorb the shock of these movements well.
- Herniated or ruptured disks. Normal disks are rubbery. When they become squeezed, a portion bulges out between your vertebrae.
- Radiculopathy. A spinal nerve can become pinched or inflamed. This can cause low back pain to travel down your legs. It can also cause numbness or tingling.
- Sciatica. This is the type of radiculopathy that affects the sciatic nerve, which runs from your butt down the backs of your legs. When itâs inflamed, you may feel burning or pain like an electrical shock that may go all the way down to your feet.
- Spondylolisthesis. In this condition, a vertebra slips out of place and pinches spinal nerves.
- Spinal stenosis. Your spinal column may narrow over time, putting pressure on your nerves. Your legs may feel numb and grow weaker.
Recommended Reading: Will Aleve Help Back Pain
Did I Pull A Lower Back Muscle How Do You Treat A Pulled Muscle In The Lower Back
True muscle strains are rare. Most muscle pain in the lower back is due to muscle spasms from other Lumbar spine injuries. Disk injuries are more likely. If there is muscular pain, consider trying a warm shower or even an ice pack initially. Gentle movement exercises may help, such as lying on the back, bending both knees, and gently rotating them together to each side, without pushing into pain. Start with 5 to 10 reps. Gentle yoga may be helpful once the acute symptoms improve. Modalities such as ice or heat can certainly stop the back muscles from going into a spasm.
How To Treat Middle Back And Rib Pain
Many home remedies can help relieve pain in your upper or middle back that is caused by an issue with your ribs. Letâs look at some natural ways of relieving back pain without the use of painkillers.
If you have injured your back, most doctors recommend getting plenty of rest to prevent aggravating any injury in your back. However, you should not lay in bed too long because physical activity can help to prevent back pain from becoming chronic.15
It is also important to make sure that you improve your posture to avoid long-term pressure on your middle back and ribs that can result in chronic back pain.
Don’t Miss: Aleve Or Ibuprofen For Back Pain
When To See A Healthcare Provider
If the pain keeps you up at night, lasts longer than a week or if this is a recurrence rather than a first time experience of the symptoms, it’s best to consult with your healthcare provider. The same is true if youve had an injury or cancer.
Note that these are just a few of the signs that your back needs medical attention there are a number of others, as well.
What Organs Are In Lower Back Area : What Organs Do You Have In Your Middle Back / What You
- Dapatkan link
What Organs Are In Lower Back Area : What Organs Do You Have In Your Middle Back / What you The heart has four chambers.. The area around the middle of the thorax, between the right and left pleural sacs, is known as the the nerve supply to the lungs and some of its associated organs and muscles comes from this deoxygenated blood is then pumped back to the lungs by the right ventricle via the pulmonary artery. The chest is separated from the abdomen by the diaphragm. You may hear a doctor refer to them as t1 it works with your ribs to keep your body stable and protect vital organs such as your heart and lungs. Lower back feels sore to the touch. A randomized, multi center, controlled trial.
Thats because it you have 12 vertebrae in your upper and middle back. Lower back feels sore to the touch. What the difference between the abdomen and the abdominal cavity. 236 x 293 jpeg 13 . Organs with high density such as the ribs and spine are radiopaque, meaning they absorb radiation, and appear white or light grey on the image.
You May Like: Does Motrin Help With Back Pain
What Are Some Less Invasive Or Noninvasive Back Pain Treatments
Your doctor has a wide range of treatments that may help your lower back pain. In general, expect your doctor to take a stepped care approach. That means starting with simple, low-cost treatments and moving to more aggressive approaches later. Keep in mind that many treatments take time to reach their full effect.
Medications. When over-the-counter pills and topicals dont do enough to relieve back pain, your doctor may recommend a prescription drug. Examples include:
- Antiseizure medication, such gabapentin or pregabalin, for nerve-related pain
- Muscle relaxants, such as baclofen or carisoprodol
- Prescription NSAIDs, such as celecoxib, diclofenac, or fenoprofen
- Opioids, such as oxycodone or hydrocodone, on a short-term basis.
Physical therapy . PT for lower back pain involves passive and active therapies to help the patient build core muscle strength, improve spinal flexibility and range of motion, correct posture and more. Your physical therapy sessions may include:
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
What Are The Most Common Lower Back Surgery Procedures
Spine surgery is not necessary for most people who have lower back pain. If you do need it, your doctor will recommend an appropriate procedure to address your specific symptoms and medical situation. Common spine surgeries include:
Spinal Fusion. Two or more vertebrae are permanently fused together to limit excess spinal motion. Your surgeon will use a combination of bone, bonelike material, screws, plates and rods to hold the vertebrae together so they can heal into a single unit. Spinal fusion may be done to correct spinal deformities or to increase the spines stability in severe cases of spinal osteoarthritis or herniated discs.
Laminectomy and laminotomy. Laminectomy is a surgery in which your surgeon removes the back portion of one or more vertebrae to create more space for the spinal cord or other nerves. In people with severe arthritis, bone spurs within the spinal canal can grow large enough to press on the spinal cord, causing pain and limiting mobility. In a similar surgery known as laminotomy, your surgeon will remove a small piece of bone called the lamina from the back of the vertebra.
You May Like: Aleve Lower Back Pain
Don’t Rest An Achy Back
Doctors used to prescribe bed rest for back pain. But now we know that lying still is one of the worst things you can do. It can make back pain worse and lead to other complications. Don’t rest for more than a day or two. It’s important to get up and slowly start moving again. Exercise has been found to be one of the most effective ways to relieve back pain quickly. Try swimming, walking, or yoga.
What Is Back Pain
Back pain refers to pain that you may feel in your back or spine. It is a very common problem: 1 in 6 Australians report having back problems, and 4 out of 5 experience it sometime in their life. While both men and women report that they experience back problems, it is more commonly reported by people 25 years and older.
Back pain can be grouped into different categories. Lower back pain refers to pain felt in the lower part of the spine . Back problems can also affect the upper back , the neck as well as the tailbone .
People experience back pain in different ways. Some people say it feels like a sharp pain other people report aches or spasms. You may feel stiff, or find it hard to turn or bend in certain directions. In some cases, such as sciatica, pain can travel down one or both your legs.
Back pain can impact you physically and mentally. People suffering from back pain may feel irritable or short-tempered. They may worry about whether the pain will control their life and may experience feelings of helplessness.
Read Also: Back Pain Cleveland Clinic
When To Contact A Doctor
A person who is experiencing kidney pain should contact a doctor as soon as possible to find out what is causing it.
People must contact a doctor to diagnose and treat kidney pain. Receiving the correct treatment ensures that the kidneys do not become damaged, which can lead to kidney failure.
Doctors may order tests such as:
- urine tests, which can help them identify any infections
Recommended Reading: Are Grapes Good For Kidney Stones
Lower Back Pain On Right Side Above Hip Region Causes Treatment Options
A pain that occurs in any part of the body is upsetting, and it also happens in the abdomen. The abdomen is a vigorous organ consisting of kidneys and bladder, pancreas, gallbladder, intestine stomach, liver. Slightly disturbance or disorder of rational functions in these organs can cause massive pain in the abdomen.
Flank pain is the discomposure in your upper abdomen or sides and back. Flank pain develops in the area above the pelvis and below the ribs. Frequently, the flank pain is shoddier on one side of your body. However most of the flank pains are temporary most people experience it once a year although constant pain requires constant medication or severe medical conditions which include urinary tract infection or dehydration, constant pain causes kidney stones or other kidney problem.
Don’t Miss: Aleve Good For Back Pain
Muscle And Ligament Pain
Your back muscles and ligaments are one of the frequent sources of mid-back pain. The pain can localize to one side .
The pain results from the affection of the muscles in the right mid-back by either:
- Muscle or tendon strain: pulling, twisting, or pulling of a muscle or its fibrous ligament.
- Ligament sprain: stretching or tearing a ligament .
- A sudden awkward movement: leads to an over-stretch of your back muscles.
- Prolonged sitting or sleeping .
- The pain usually improves with rest.
- Character: aching, shooting, or stabbing sensation in the mid-back.
- Related to movement: bending, standing up, or any move triggers the right mid-back pain. movement
- Worse in certain positions: the pain is more when you hold specific postures .
- In most cases, the pain heals after 1 or 2 weeks.
- Tender: touching or pressing the affected muscle or ligament exaggerates the pain.
Muscle and ligament-related mid-back pain are the easiest to detect. Its characteristic relation to movement and posture makes it easy to diagnose.
The affected muscles and ligaments include:
- The muscles and ligaments between the ribs .
- Big muscles of the back as Trapezius, Latismus Dorsi muscle, and others.
Your doctor has to confirm the diagnosis. Then, he will perform a physical exam and may require investigations such as x-ray or abdominal ultrasonography.
If you get the diagnosis of back muscle strain, you can benefit from the following treatments.
Remedies To Relieve Lower Back Pain Fast
We all want to know the best way to relieve lower back pain fast. At best, backache can be frustrating, perhaps draining. At its worst, this kind of discomfort can be utterly debilitating. If you have ever awakened with a terrible backache, you may have also learned how quickly such an ailment can derail your day, your week, or even several months or years.
Fortunately, there are remedies to combat that ache. From exercising to getting better sleep to reducing your stress levels, you can choose from a variety of strategies. The next time you have a backache , consider the following methods of back pain relief. Remember to discuss at-home back pain remedies with your doctor before you make use of them.
You May Like: Aleve For Lower Back Pain