Recommendations For Heavyweight Sleepers
Its always important to consider ones size and weight when searching for a mattress customers want to make sure that their new mattress will properly support heavier weights.
This is even more important when discussing mattresses for back pain, as larger people require even more support under their lumbar area so that they dont get out of alignment. Out of these 10 mattresses, three really stand out among the rest for heavier sleepers.
- Helix: Although we recommended the Helix Midnight Luxe, heavier sleepers should seek out the Helix Plus, the brands bed designed specifically with larger people in mind. It has that medium firmness that those with back pain should be searching for, but is also incredibly supportive and offers the necessary lumbar support.
- Saatva: This is also a fantastic match because it features a nice balance of comfort and support. Heavier back sleepers should receive excellent lumbar support, with the mattress conforming to the curves of their body. As for heavier side sleepers, their hips should sink in the right amount, and the memory foam should press up to fill in their gaps and keep the spine in proper neutral alignment.
- WinkBed: With its supportive coils and plush top, heavier people should also find the WinkBed to be a good fit. Specifically, they should consider the WinkBed Plus, which has high-density Body Impression-Proof foam and even more support in its coils.
Mattress Firmness Suitability For Back Pain
Mattresses can potentially be available in any of the following firmnesses .
Extra soft mattresses are typically best for side sleepers that weigh less than 130 lbs because they allow you to sink more deeply into the mattress materials to remove pressure on your hips and shoulders.
This means that an extra-soft mattress may be suitable if you have back pain thats primarily triggered by surface pressure such as sciatica or nerve-related back pain because the softer surface is less liable to create pressure points.
Soft mattresses are often preferred by side sleepers and lighter weighted sleepers under 150 lbs again due to the greater give afforded by the upper comfort layers that may also provide relief for back pain that is brought on through pressure points.
Softer mattresses are often best avoided by heavier weighted sleepers over 230 lbs especially if you sleep on your front because youre more likely to sink into the mattress and experience back pain due to spinal misalignment and bad posture.
Medium-soft mattresses are often enjoyed by side and back sleepers in the 130 230 lbs range, whilst front sleepers under 200 lbs who prefer more pressure relief may also feel well supported.
A medium firmness mattress is the most popular mattress firmness and is typically best suited to front, back, and side sleepers in the 130 230 lbs range .
How Can Your Mattress Affect Back Pain
The lower back has more curvature and range of motion than the rest of your back, which makes it more susceptible to injury from incorrect alignment. If a mattress offers insufficient support, your lower back may twist or bend in an unnatural way. If the bed is too soft or dips in the middle, your hips may sink deeply into the mattress and out of alignment with your lumbar area. Conversely, if the mattress is too firm, your hips may sit too high. Respected medical journal The Lancet has published a study finding that moderately firm or medium mattresses provide the best support with contouring for your impact points, and help relieve and prevent lower back pain.
Also Check: What Kind Of Doctor To Go To For Back Pain
How Your Sleeping Position May Help Or Hinder
You may find that getting comfortable for sleep during a sciatic flare takes a little trial and error. Still, the best option tends to be whatever keeps your spine comfortable and naturally aligned.
- Side sleeping can take pressure off the irritated nerve. Lie on the opposite side of the irritation and consider placing a pillow between your bent knees to keep both your pelvis and spine in a neutral position.
- Back sleeping distributes your weight more evenly across the back. A bolster, thick pillow, or even a rolled-up towel placed beneath the knees can relax your hip flexors, which will help your spine maintain its natural curve. You can also try adding a thin pillow or towel beneath your lower back. This will help your pelvis maintain a neutral position.
Stomach sleeping is not recommended if you have sciatica or any kind of lower back pain. This position doesnt support the spine, which tends to curve down in this sleeping position and can stress the surrounding muscles or joints. Thats especially true if youre sleeping on a soft mattress.
Positions in which you twist the spine or hips should also be avoided. They can put a lot of pressure on the sciatic nerve.
% Experience Back Pain
Eight out of ten people will experience back pain at some point in their lives1. This can range from a dull, constant ache to chronic debilitating pain. Since we spend approximately one-third of our days in bed, our choice of mattress can have a huge impact on whether this pain continues or improves.
Research has shown that simply getting a new mattress can help improve sleep quality and reduce back discomfort2. However, the type of mattress you choose also plays an important role. There are two main characteristics to look for when choosing the best mattress for both back support and sleep comfort firmness and the physical components of the mattress.
You May Like: What Is Treatment For Bulging Disc In Lower Back
Which Type Of Mattress Topper Is Best For Back Pain
Any type of mattress topper may have potential pros and cons. Depending on their personal preferences, back pain sufferers may enjoy different toppers.
Memory foam: As memory foam toppers conform closely to the sleepers body, many people who experience back pain find they give a good balance of pressure relief and support. These toppers also usually isolate motion well, so sleepers might not notice when their partner changes position. One potential drawback is that memory foam tends to retain heat, but some models are made with special features for added breathability and cooling. Memory foam is also usually slow to respond to changes in pressure, which can make it harder for sleepers to move around and change position.
Polyfoam: Polyfoam toppers conform to the sleepers body without the close hug of memory foam. Additionally, this material tends to be more breathable and regain its shape more quickly than memory foam. Polyfoam toppers are also frequently budget-friendly options. While many sleepers find polyfoam mattress toppers comfortable, theyre often less durable than other types of toppers on the market. This is particularly true of toppers that make use of low-density polyfoam.
Feathers:Feather mattress toppers typically provide a plush sleep surface. However, since they do not usually provide much in the way of support or pressure relief, they may not be ideal for sleepers who experience back pain.
How We Rated Mattresses For Back Pain
4.8 to 5 stars: These are the best mattresses for back pain we reviewed. We recommend them without reservation.
4.5 to 4.7 stars: These mattresses for back pain are excellentthey might have minor flaws, but we still recommend them.
4.0 to 4.5 stars: We think these are great mattresses for back pain, but others are better.
3.5 to 3.9 stars: These mattresses for back pain are just average.
3.4 and below: We don’t recommend mattresses for back pain with this rating you won’t find any on our list.
Verywell Health / Sage McHugh
Also Check: What Can You Do For Back Pain During Pregnancy
What Increases Your Chances Of Experiencing Back Pain
There are also a plethora of factors that could make it more likely for someone to develop back pain.
- Age: As we grow older, we have a significantly higher chance of dealing with back pain aging can cause degeneration of spinal discs so they arent as effective at absorbing shock. Its also possible to develop Spondylolisthesis, where one vertebra moves into another vertebra.
- Lack of exercise: If we dont exercise, our bodies can become susceptible to back pain. Also, if our back muscles are weak, the back pain can potentially become more severe. Many studies have shown that exercise can help alleviate back pain. In fact, one 2012 study from Informed Health Online found that exercise can prevent a recurrence of acute back pain in 1 out of 3 people.
- High body weight: For those that are overweight, back pain becomes more likely. One 2016 study, which was published in the journal Medicine, found that higher BMI and waist-hip ratio were associated with high-intensity low back pain and/or high disability.
- Depression and/or anxiety: According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, people with these disorders are more likely to struggle with back pain than people who dont experience anxiety and/or depression.
- Smoking: The Mayo Clinic states that smoking cigarettes cuts down on blood flow to the lower back area and reduces the nutrients that are delivered to the spine. For those with acute back pain, nicotine can slow the healing process.
Best Budget Mattress For Back Pain: Vaya Mattress
A new mattress can be quite an expensive commitment for some budget shoppers. Thatâs why we love the Vaya, a foam mattress that focuses on pure comfort and support at a price that most can easily afford. The bed is 12 inches thick and suitable for all sleeping styles, with a queen size mattress costing $599.
The Vaya Mattress has two foam layers in a soft, breathable cover:
- 3 inches of Vaya Comfort Foam
- 9 inches of Vaya Base Foam
Vaya Comfort Foam is a bouncy, malleable foam. It conforms to you in every position for full-body pressure relief. The comfort foamâs lightweight design also ensures it stays cool during the night, limiting the heat retention that can interrupt your rest.
Vaya Base Foam is a resilient material that resists sagging and supports you in all sleep positions. The foam evenly distributes your bodyweight, preventing the pressure build-up that can cause backaches or exacerbate existing conditions.
Vayaâs commitment to their customersâ comfort extends to their policies, as well. You have 100 nights to try out a Vaya Mattress after it arrives and can return it for a full refund if itâs not right for you. Every purchase of a Vaya Mattress is backed by a 10-year warranty that covers sagging over 0.75 inches.
You May Like: My Pillow Mattress Toppers
Recommended Reading: How To Help A Bulging Disc In Lower Back
Mattress Features To Look For To Relieve Back Pain
When shopping for a mattress to help relieve back pain, some features are more important than others. With so many products and a bevy of marketing hype, it can be tough to parse out what really matters. Based on our extensive experience testing mattresses, we believe that youre most likely to get the most satisfaction out of your purchase by focusing on certain key considerations:
- Mattress Type: The materials and design will play a huge role in the performance of a mattress. The contouring, bounce, firmness, temperature regulation, and motion isolation of a mattress will be different for each mattress type, so it is critical for shoppers to think about their priorities and choose a mattress with components that will best meet their needs.
- Zoned Support: Weight from the body is not distributed evenly instead, certain areas tend to require more cushioning. A zoned mattress takes that into account and offers reinforced support in those areas.
- Quality Materials: Weve found that a mattress made with excellent materials is much more likely to provide the performance, reliability, and durability that people with back pain need.
- Firmness Level: Firmness is a key driver of mattress comfort and is largely a matter of personal preference. At the same time, the right firmness level can play a big part in whether a mattress offers sufficient support, and that will depend significantly on a persons body weight and sleeping position.
Is A Firm Mattress Always Better For Back Pain
a firm mattress will not accommodate the natural curvature of the spine
Problems with a firm mattress
Pressure pointsSpinal misalignmentLack of conformability
Which mattress is best for a bad back?
The best mattress for a bad back is of medium-firm density A latex mattress is the best type for a bad backrecommended by many chiropractors and osteopaths: latex is supportive yet extremely comfortablebeware of mattresses which are touted as being orthopaedicIf you have scoliosis or you suffer from back pain, you should consider sleeping on a medium firm latex mattress
Recommended Reading: How Do I Know If My Back Pain Is Muscular
Main Concerns About Mattress
When thinking about how to arrange the material for this resource, I decided to divide it into 5 areas, each one focusing on responding to among the primary questions you require to inquire about mattresses. Here are the 5 concerns you need to address:
- How old is your mattress?
- What Sleep Position Do You Prefer?
- What firmness do you require?
- How much do you weigh?
- What kind of mattress do you require?
You May Like: Purple Mattress Financing
Mattress Warranty And Other Policies
Most online mattress companies offer sleep trials so you can try out the mattress in your own home before committing to a purchase. You should look for a sleep trial thats at least 90 nights long, which will give your body time to adjust to the feel of the new mattress. Some mattress companies impose mandatory break-in periods or charge return fees, so be sure to check the fine print before ordering.
After the sleep trial ends, a mattress warranty can protect you against premature sagging, ensuring your mattress will continue to deliver the support you need to reduce sciatica pain. Mattress warranties tend to last at least 10 years and cover significant defects in materials and workmanship. That said, mattress warranties shouldnt be the main factor that influences which mattress you buy.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Bed For Lower Back Pain
How Do I Know If My Mattress Is Causing Me Back Pain
The most important thing to figure out is whether or not your mattress is supporting you in your preferred sleeping position. A lack of support can lead to misalignment of the spine, resulting in lower back pain. So, side sleepers need to make sure theyve got space to sink in at the shoulders, back and stomach sleepers need extra lift at the hips, and combo sleepers need a buoyant bed thatll support ease of motion. If your bed doesnt satisfy these needs, it may cause back pain.
Choosing A Mattress For Sciatica
Sciatica can put a damper on your sleep patterns if it isnt treated or handled properly. While its important to seek care from your doctor, sleeping on a comfortable and supportive mattress may also be helpful.
Dr. Sara Mikulsky, PT, DPT, FNS, CEAS, owner of Wellness Physical Therapy PLLC, says that choosing a mattress with good spinal alignment is key.
By placing the spine in normal alignment and additionally opening up the spinal segments, pressure can be taken off the nerves, reducing sciatic pain, she explains, adding that you should avoid choosing a soft mattress because the spine wont be as supported.
For example, Mikulsky recommends many of the new foam mattresses that have technology to prevent sagging in the middle when lying down on it. These mattresses help the body stay supported from the hips, back, and shoulders.
A mattress companys policies are also important to look into before making a purchase. Mikulsky says, I recommend going with a mattress company that allows a trial period to make sure its the right mattress for you.
Don’t Miss: What Is Good For Severe Back Pain
What Is The Best Mattress Type For Back Pain
To find the best mattress for back pain in Canada, its crucial to understand how each mattress type works and feels. After all, the best mattress is always the one that suits ones needs and preferences perfectly.
So, here are the most common mattress types and examples of who they would work for:
Feel: slow-moving, cradling, hugging. Fills in the body curves and redistributes the weight evenly.
Great for: users who have sensitive joints those who prefer good motion absorption and zero to minimum bounce sleepers who arent prone to overheating at night those who enjoy being hugged by the mattresss comfort layers couples who want to reduce nighttime disturbances those who want almost instant pressure relief.
Feel: contouring but responsive. Sleeps cool. Doesnt restrict movement while adapting to the sleepers body and distributing the weight properly.
Great for: chronic hot sleepers combination sleepers who dont want to feel restricted those who want effective tension alleviation without too much of a hug fans of eco-friendly mattresses shoppers who want an extra-durable mattress and dont mind spending more.
Feel: balanced, with sturdy support and a decent amount of cradling. Depending on the thickness of the comfort layers, these mattresses can aid fast pressure relief while keeping the spine neutral.
Feel: bouncy. Respond fast to applied pressure. Dont offer much of a hug.
Best Gel Foam Mattress: Sweetnight 12 Inch Queen Size Mattress Medium Firm
Free returns within 100 days
There are many quality foam mattresses that can help reduce your back pain. And one of the best, most affordable options is the Sweetnight 12 inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress.
While it costs hundreds less than comparable products, this 12-inch memory foam mattress will give you a great night’s sleep, helping to reduce body aches all the while.
This mattress has three thick layers of foam for optimal comfort. The top layer is made of a gel memory foam that regulates temperature, keeping you cool throughout the night while cradling the contours of your bodyno matter what position you sleep in. Plus, the mattress is hypoallergenic and resistant to allergens, making it a great option for those who are sensitive to pollen and dust.
Firmness: Medium-firm | Thickness: 12 inches | Type: Gel-infused memory foam | Trial Length: 100 nights
Also Check: What Can I Use For Back Pain While Pregnant