How To Heal A Lumbar Pinched Nerve
There are a few possible causes for a pinched nerve .
But no matter the cause, there are 2 simple steps you have to take to NATURALLY cure your pinched nerve.
Do not fool yourself to think that it will go away or heal on its own and please do not start relying on dangerous pain medication to keep your sanity.
So, what did you find? A pinched nerve or a pulled muscle?
To your health and happiness,
How Is Lumbar Strain Diagnosed
In addition to a complete medical history and physical exam, diagnostic procedures for low back pain may include the following. However, during many initial assessments and exams, specialized tests aren’t usually recommended.
- X-ray. A diagnostic test that produces images of internal tissues, bones, and organs onto film.
- Computed tomography scan . This is an imaging test that uses X-rays and a computer to make detailed images of the body. A CT scan shows details of the bones, muscles, fat, and organs. A CT scan shows detailed images of bones, muscles, fat, and organs.
- Magnetic resonance imaging . A diagnostic procedure that uses a combination of large magnets, radiofrequencies, and a computer to produce detailed images of organs and structures within the body.
- Radionuclide bone scan. A nuclear imaging technique that uses a very small amount of radioactive material, which is injected into the bloodstream to be detected by a scanner. This test shows blood flow to the bone and cell activity within the bone.
- Electromyogram . A test to evaluate nerve and muscle function.
Exercise To Loosen Muscles
Although it may seem counterintuitive to exercise when lower back pain is causing you grief, the right kind of movement can help eliminate the discomfort. Its always important to consult your physician before you engage in exercise when you have pain, but this conversation is well worth having if youre suffering.
First, you should keep in mind that not all exercise is beneficial in combating back pain. Try to avoid toe-touch exercises and sit-ups, which may add to the stress on your spine instead of relieving it. Leg lifts are another exercise to stay away from when you are hurting. If your core is not strong, leg lifts could be too demanding on your body if youre already experiencing pain.
Several types of exercises can be useful when you need to relieve back pain. Partial crunches can aid in strengthening your core without applying too much pressure to the area. Slow and controlled wall-sit exercises may also be useful. Other repetitions to consider include bringing each knee to the chest in succession, pelvic tilts, and swimming.
Recommended Reading: Will Naproxen Help Back Pain
How To Treat Lower Right Back Muscle Strain
The initial pain from a muscle strain may be severe, but it will likely subside over a few days. Read:A Guide to Lower Right Back Pain
Muscle strains occur when a muscle is pulled beyond its normal limit, causing the muscle fibers to overstretch or have small, microscopic tears. While this type of injury is typically minor and heals without complications1, the pain may be severe and your back may be markedly stiff.
A back muscle strain is usually the result of an indirect injury1,2 such as from swinging a golf club or twisting the right side of your back to lift a child off the floor. Sometimes, you may also strain a tendon along with the muscle.
How Is Low Back Strain Treated
- Acetaminophen decreases pain and fever. It is available without a doctors order. Ask how much to take and how often to take it. Follow directions. Acetaminophen can cause liver damage if not taken correctly.
- NSAIDs , such as ibuprofen, help decrease swelling, pain, and fever. This medicine is available with or without a doctors order. NSAIDs can cause stomach bleeding or kidney problems in certain people. If you take blood thinner medicine, always ask your healthcare provider if NSAIDs are safe for you. Always read the medicine label and follow directions.
- Muscle relaxers help decrease pain and muscle spasms.
- Prescription pain medicine may be given. Ask how to take this medicine safely.
- Surgery may be needed if your strain is severe.
Recommended Reading: Which Is Better For Lower Back Pain Aleve Or Tylenol
Recommended Reading: Aleve Or Advil For Lower Back Pain
What Is The Outlook For People With Lower Back Pain
The outlook depends on the cause of pain. Most people with back strains and sprains recover and do not have long-term health issues. But many people will have another episode within a year.
Some people have chronic back pain that doesnt get better after several weeks. Older people with degenerative conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis may have symptoms that get worse over time. Surgery and other treatments are effective at helping people with a range of injuries and conditions live pain-free.
Recommended Reading: Will Aleve Help Back Pain
Ways To Treat Lower Back Strain
1. If you think the object is just too heavy, dont lift it alone. Instead, postpone the transfer of the object until you can get someone to help you carry it. If two or three people cant lift it, its probably too heavy for people to carry safely. Use the appropriate carry equipment to transfer the object from point A to B.
2. Just before lifting a heavy load, spread your feet so that the load will be distributed more evenly throughout your legs and feet. This immediately reduces the strain on your back because the legs are forced to carry most of the load. Feet that are spread wide also provide a wide base to your entire body, which provides better stability.
3. Dont lift objects from a distance. Lift an object only when you are really close to it, so your back wont have to bend or twist too much.
4. If you have to lift something heavy off the ground, avoid bending at your waist. Instead, transfer your weight to your knees and let your sturdy legs do the lifting for you. Bend your knees, grab the object and slowly straighten your knees. That way, your back has been spared the ordeal of having to strain against gravity while lifting a heavy object.
5. The further away an object is from your body, the heavier it will feel. If you are carrying a child, for example, try embracing the child while carrying it, instead of holding the child a few inches from your chest. Youll notice a significant difference immediately.
Recommended Reading: Aleve And Back Pain
Treatment For A Pulled Back Muscle
Except in the cases of severe injuries, most of the time, a pulled back muscle may be treated at home with RICE .7 Working with a physical therapist may help move along your recovery because you may have access to more advanced treatments such as cryotherapy, active compression, and contrast therapy.
More Ways To Prevent Future Back Spasms:
Maintain a healthy weight if youre overweight, you increase the stress on your spine and joints.
Improve your posture improper postures such as being hunched over all day can increase your risk of back spasms. Ensuring that you maintain proper posture, and using ergonomic aids when needed provide the stability and strength that your back needs and minimizes your risk of back spasms.
Exercise regularly engaging in a stretching and strengthening program for your back and core muscles, and regularly participating in some form of cardiovascular activity, will help to keep your back healthy and minimize your risk of back spasms.
Warm up and cool down before exercising properly warming up and cooling down before and after exercise can help prevent your muscles from becoming fatigued, strained, or injured. Before working out, try jogging in place and doing sport-specific movements that help to get your heart rate up and blood flowing to your muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints. After your work out, take about 10 minutes to stretch the major muscle groups of your body to help prevent muscle spasms.
Stay hydrated dehydration can lead to muscle spasms. Ensure that youre consuming enough water for your body size and activity level helps to minimize your risk of back spasms.
Recommended Reading: Tylenol Or Aleve For Back Pain
How To Treat A Pulled Muscle
Prevention should always be the primary goal:
- Maintain strong abdominal and back core muscles to help stabilize your spine and prevent strain on back muscles.
- Live a healthy lifestyle, including weight management and low-impact aerobic exercises, to build muscle strength and prevent strain.
- Maintain a neutral posture when sitting or standing.
- Utilize leg muscles instead of back muscles when lifting objects to prevent back muscle fatigue and injury.
Muscular back pain usually goes away after several weeks of home care, says Dr. Van Dien. Despite the popular belief that you must rest, early mobilization and walking following an acute back strain will help keep muscles loose and prevent further lower back tightness. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication and alternating ice and heat can be helpful with the initial onset of pain. Your doctor may also recommend a course of physical therapy.
Muscle Strain Or Injury
A spasm in the back can occur as the result of any type of strain or injury to the soft tissues of the back, including the muscles, ligaments, and tendons. For example, heavy lifting, as well as sports that involve sudden and repetitive movements, are common causes of muscle spasm in the back. However, any type of activity that puts excessive strain on the muscles of the back can lead to an injury, and subsequently muscle spasm.
Also Check: Advil Or Ibuprofen For Back Pain
Epsom Salt Bath To Relieve Strained Muscle In The Back
One way to relax tense muscles and also relax your mind to ease muscle tension is to take a warm bath of Epsom salt.
Dr. Carol DerSarkissian on WebMD says that an Epsom salt bath can help to heal a pulled or strained muscle and ease many aches and pains. It is thought that magnesium and sulfate from the salts penetrate the skin and help relax stiff muscles.19
How to use Epsom salt for muscle repair:
To make a healing bath with Epsom salt to get rid of pain caused by pulled back muscle, this is what you should do:
Exercises To Prevent Pulling Or Straining Your Back Muscles:
Stand with your back against a wall and slowly lower yourself down to a sitting position. Hold this for 30 seconds then repeat.
Bridge Yoga Pose:
While laying on the ground, bend your knees and place your feet shoulder width apart on the ground. Slowly start lifting your back off of the ground at about a 45-degree angle. Hold this position for 20 seconds then repeat.
Lie on the ground with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Using your core muscles, slowly raise your shoulders off the floor. Hold this position for around 1-2 seconds then lower your shoulders back down. Try not to use your neck to hold your shoulders up but your ab muscles instead. Repeat this motion around 15 times.
Lie on the floor on your stomach with your hands under your shoulders. Push your shoulders off the floor using your hands and hold this position for 10 seconds. Then repeat.
Don’t Miss: Advil Or Tylenol For Back Pain
How To Know When Back Pain Is Muscular
If youve ever suffered from aches and pains in your back, youre not alone: According to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 75 to 85 percent of Americans experience back pain at some point in their lives.
But knowing whats causing your pain can be challenging. The most common complaint is what we characterize as non-specific low back pain, which means we havent identified a specific underlying source for why that individual has back pain, says Craig Van Dien, M.D., a sports medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation physician at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute. In most cases, this is muscle-based pain or a muscle strain.
What Home Remedies For Lower Back Pain Actually Work
Unless youve had a major injury, such as a fall or car accident, you probably dont need to rush to the doctor for back pain. You may want to try these simple self-care strategies first.
Avoid bed rest. When lower back pain strikes, people often think complete rest will relieve back pain. However, a review of many clinical studies found that patients who retreated to bed actually experienced more pain and recovered more slowly than patients who stayed fairly active
Use ice and/or heat. Many people find that using ice or cold packs for periods of up to 20 minutes at a time helps reduce pain and swelling. Always wrap ice or a cold pack in a thin towel before putting it on your body so you dont injure your skin. You may also find that heat, such as a heating pad or warm bath, eases pain. Ice is recommended in the first 48 hours after injury then you can try a combo of ice and heat.
Try over-the-counter remedies. Short-term use of OTC pain relievers, such as the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ibuprofen and naproxen, may ease your lower back pain. Also consider OTC creams, gels, patches, or sprays applied to the skin. They stimulate the nerves in the skin to provide feelings of warmth or cold in order to dull the sensation of pain.
Also Check: Advil For Lower Back Pain
What Causes Lumbar Strain
Injury can damage the tendons and muscles in the lower back. Pushing and pulling sports, such as weight lifting or football, can lead to a lumbar strain. In addition, sports that require sudden twisting of the lower back, such as in tennis, basketball, baseball, and golf, can lead to this injury. Certain risk factors, such as excessive lower back curvature, forward-tilted pelvis, weak back, or abdominal muscles, and tight hamstrings, can increase the risk for this injury.
Pulled Muscle In Lower Back Recovery Time
You should limit normal activity for the first few days after your injury but resume it as soon as you can after that time. Wait a few weeks before going back to an exercise regimen or sport.
Most people will be fully recovered within two weeks of the injury, but if the pain isnt getting better after a weeks time, see a doctor.
There are several things you can do to prevent straining your lower back, some that help strengthen it and others that are precautionary. These include:
- stretching and strengthening exercises
Recommended Reading: Advil Good For Back Pain
What Does A Muscle Knot Look And Feel Like
Muscle knots can usually be felt under the skin.
When you press them, the pain gets worse. Muscle knots are often a bit swollen and feel hard when you touch them.
If you have an active trigger point, the area causes pain even when you dont touch it.
If you have a latent trigger point, it is only painful when you press on it.
The most common area of muscle knots is the trapezius muscle, which starts in the neck and goes to the middle of the back and shoulders, forming a trapezium shape.
Heres a video showing how a muscle knot looks like:
Recommended Reading: How Does A Diuretic Help Back Pain
What Is A Back Muscle Strain
Muscle strains or ruptures can occur in the back just like they can anywhere else in the body. A muscle strain or tear in the back is usually caused by a sudden movement or lifting something that is too heavy. The low back pain, however, is often a long time coming on as the muscles in the back gradually tighten up due to bad posture and overuse.
These muscles go into spasm and do not get enough blood through them resulting in weakness. So when someone complains of low back pain when they bend down to pick up a piece of paper and tear a muscle in the back, it is not just the piece of paper that caused it but a gradual build-up of tension over weeks and months.
You May Like: Will Aleve Help Back Pain
How To Treat A Pulled Back Muscle Lower
A pulled back muscle can be extremely painful and it is one of the most common causes for back pain in the United States. If you are suffering from back pain, it is highly likely that you are also wondering how to treat a pulled back muscle.
Fortunately, the answer is simple. This article will work for you as a guide to you to know what are the bodily parts concerned with this condition as well as the most common and effective treatments for this conditons.
Knee To Chest Psoas Muscle Stretch
Lie flat on your back on the floor. Pull one knee at a time into your chest. Avoid the rib cage and pull your knee toward your shoulder using your back muscles.
Keep the foot of the straight leg engaged by pulling your toes toward your shin . The calf of your straight leg should be on the ground.
Pull hard. You should feel a pinch in the hip socket. Hold for 30 seconds per side.
Read Also: Does Motrin Help With Back Pain