What Are The Different Types Of Prostatitis
In an effort to standardize terminology, the National Institutes of Health proposes dividing prostatitis into four main categories: Acute bacterial prostatitis chronic bacterial prostatitis chronic bacterial prostatitis , which is subdivided into inflammatory and non-inflammatory prostatitis and asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis . Prostatitis is inflammation of the prostate gland.
- Acute infectious prostatitis: This may be caused by a bacteria or virus. The symptoms come on suddenly and may be severe. They include fever and chills, low back pain, frequent and painful urination, decreasing or less forceful urinary stream and urinary retention .
- Chronic infectious prostatitis: This also may be caused by bacteria. Stress, caffeine, nicotine, or alcohol may worsen the condition. Symptoms may include repeat bladder infections, frequent urination, and pain in the lower abdomen or low back.
- Noninfectious prostatitis: This form of prostatitis is not caused by bacteria and therefore antibiotics are not helpful. This is the most common type of prostatitis. It may be exacerbated by stress and/or irregular sexual activity. Stress may cause the pelvis muscles to tighten and cause pain. Increased pressure during voiding may cause urine to back up into the ducts resulting in a form of chemical prostatitis. The prostate gland produces fluid for semen and infrequent ejaculation may cause the ducts to become clogged with secretions.
Lower Back Pain And Sex Drive
There are two big red flags when low libido accompanies low back pain.
Other than the obvious discomfort that physical intimacy can produce in a sensitive lower back, the nerves from the lower back in both men and women supply the reproductive organs and adrenals.
And according to Dr. Briegs research the tension on the spinal cord can cause havoc with your reproductive organs.
So the bones that are designed to protect the delicate nerves actually interfere with them. They not only can cause back pain, but can also interfere with sex drive and organ function.
Can Kidney Stones Affect Your Prostate
Every year more than 500,000 people seek emergency care for kidney stones. Kidney stones are hard mineral deposits that form within the kidneys when your body is not properly filtering waste and excess water. Kidney stones will eventually exit your body through the urinary tract. Kidney stones typically do not cause symptoms until they start to pass through the urinary tract. When kidney stones pass, it can be extremely painful and cause complications like blockages of the urinary tract, blood in the urine, and problems with the prostate. Were taking a closer look at how kidney stones can affect your prostate.
Also Check: Advil Or Tylenol For Back Pain
Can I Prevent Prostatitis
Prostatitis is a condition that causes your prostate gland to become swollen, tender, and inflamed. It can be quite painful, especially when you pee or ejaculate . The most common locations of pain were the perineum , testes , suprapubic area , and penis
Doctors arenÃ¢t always sure what causes prostatitis. Common causes vary depending on whether it is acute vs. chronic and/or infectious vs inflammation. Sometimes, an infection in your urinary tract is to blame. Other times, itÃ¢s due to an injury or nerve damage. In many cases, doctors never find the cause.
Because of that, treatment for prostatitis can be a challenge. For some men, it can take months â or even years â to recover.
ThereÃ¢s no sure way to prevent getting this condition, but many small lifestyle changes can help keep your prostate gland healthy. They may also help to lower your risk of prostatitis. If you already have problems with your prostate, try these tips to ease your symptoms and keep your issue from getting worse.
Have good hygiene. Keep your penis and the area around it clean to prevent infection.
Stand up when possible. When you sit for long periods, it puts pressure on your prostate gland and inflames it over time. Try to avoid long bike rides and sitting down for too long.
Eat more fruits and veggies. TheyÃ¢re high in nutrients that can keep your body healthy and help you fight off infections and inflammation.
How Is Sexual Dysfunction In Women Treated
Women can work with their healthcare team to create a sexual dysfunction treatment plan. Itâs important to understand the physical or psychological causes before choosing therapies.
- Arousal techniques: Talk to your partner about different ways you can enhance desire and arousal. Consider making changes to your sexual routine. You may also try erotic materials , massage or masturbation.
- Counseling: Talking with a mental health professional may help. You can work through emotional or psychological barriers to pleasurable sex. You may choose to have one-on-one counseling or couples counseling.
- Hormone therapy: depending on your symptoms, your provider may recommend topical creams, vaginally administered medications or hormones taken orally or applied to your skin.
- Medication: Flibanserin and bremelanotide are the only medications approved to treat hypoactive sexual desire disorder in women. Only women who are premenopausal are candidates for this type of treatment. Your provider may discuss other medications that are used âoff-labelâ to treat sexual dysfunction.
- Pain management: There are several approaches to reducing pain during intercourse. You can try different sexual positions, vaginal lubricants or relaxation techniques before sex. Your provider may also talk to you about use of vaginal dilators.
Also Check: Advil Or Ibuprofen For Back Pain
Sex Tips For Those With Back Pain
Alongside choosing a comfortable sex position, other tips that can help facilitate satisfactory sexual activity despite the presence of back pain may include:
- Using towels and pillows: Placing rolled towels or pillows under the back or pelvis can help support the spine and other body parts while having sex.
- Modifying the position: Sometimes, a slight modification or change in posture can remove back pain during sex. For example, pushing the pelvis toward the ceiling can ease pain in people with flexion-motion intolerance.
- Going slow: Sex is a physical activity. Therefore, a proper warm-up, stretching, and gentle approach may help alleviate discomfort. Performing intense or extreme movements may exacerbate pain.
- Communicating: If back pain hinders a person from engaging in sexual activity, they must be honest and openly communicate it with their partners. They can discuss which movements and positions are comfortable and which cause pain. Moreover, they can discuss other intimate acts to pleasure each other without the need for intercourse.
- Using the hips and knees instead: Back pain often results from repetitive movements that involve back motions. Instead, a person can try using their hips and knees to perform these movements.
Youre Allergic To Your Partner’s Semen
It’s super rare, but a semen allergy is an actual thing. As many as 40,000 women in the U.S. are allergic to their significant other’s semen, according to a study review from the University of Cincinnati.
If youre experiencing this kind of allergic reaction, your symptoms could be local or systemic. Women may feel severe burning, develop a significant discharge, and even have whole body reactions such as chills, fever, and low blood pressure, says Dr. Ingber. If you have sex with a condom on and dont experience any of these symptoms, an allergy may be the culprit.
What to do about it: A doctor can perform skin prick tests to give you a more definitive diagnosis. Treatment includes medication and desensitizing shots. Sure it’s a buzzkill, but many women report that their symptoms lessen as time goes on.
Don’t Miss: Aleve Or Advil For Lower Back Pain
The Reality Of Masturbation Effect On Kidneys
Found on both sides of the spine, kidneys are responsible for turning extra waste and water into urine. The tube through which the urine ultimately gets released is called the urethra.
When a man indulges in sexual intercourse or masturbates and gets an erection, the internal sex plumbing shuts off the bladder. The sphincter at the base of the bladder closes. This ensures no urine flows, contaminates, or kills the sperm cells of the individual. The kidneys, urethra, uterus, and bladder all work together.
So, there’s no effect of masturbation on kidneys. They keep functioning in the usual manner.
Some people believe that a loss of nutrients and protein through semen can lead to kidney damage. However, there’s no solid scientific backing behind this theory. As per a 2013 study, there’s only about 0.25gm of protein in one ejaculation of semen.
One can replenish this amount easily. So, all in all, nutrition loss isn’t so severe and doesn’t lead to kidney damage.
Can Masturbation Cause Infection
- Men who don’t follow good hygiene practices while masturbating are prone to developing a UTI or urinary tract infection. Some of the symptoms of UTI are abdominal pain, frequent urge to urinate, and foul-smelling urine. If you leave UTIs untreated, they might spread to your kidneys.
- Not cleaning up after you masturbate can cause a thick, white substance called Smegma to accumulate around the head of your penis. Some amount of Smegma is essential to lubricate your penis.
- However, a build-up can cause penile infections like Phimosis or tightening of your foreskin. It could also lead to Balanitis- a penis infection in which the head and foreskin of your penis are inflamed.
Also Check: Aleve And Back Pain
Quadruped Or Doggy Style
This position has a small range of spinal flexion, or bending forward. As such, it may be a suitable position for those who experience back pain when bending forward or sitting for long periods.
The receiving partner may support their body weight either with their elbows or hands. This sex position also allows them to adjust their back based on their comfort. Additionally, the penetrating partner can limit the movement from their back and use their hips to perform the movement.
Home Remedies For Low Back Pain
If your back pain is caused by conditions related to your menstrual period or a muscle strain, you may want to try the following home remedies to ease your lower back pain:
- A heating pad. A heating pad applied to your back can boost circulation, which, in turn, allows nutrients and oxygen to get to the muscles in your back.
- A warm bath. A warm bath can improve circulation and reduce muscle pain and stiffness.
- OTC painkillers. Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , such as ibuprofen , naproxen , and aspirin, can help ease back pain and other types of pain associated with your period.
- Exercise. Staying active can improve your circulation and ease tense muscles.
- Gentle stretching. Regular stretching may help reduce lower back pain or prevent it from coming back.
- An ice pack. If your back pain is due to a muscle strain or an injury, an ice pack may help reduce inflammation, pain, and bruising. Ice packs work best within the first 48 hours of a muscle strain or injury.
- A pillow. Placing a pillow between your knees if you sleep on your side, or under your knees if you sleep on your back, may help ease back pain and discomfort.
- Good lumbar support. Using a chair with good lumbar support may help ease your back pain when sitting.
In some cases, its important to follow up with a doctor to determine the cause of your back pain. See your doctor as soon as possible if you experience any of the following:
Read Also: Mayo Clinic Lower Back Pain Exercises
Bulging Or Herniated Disc
The jelly-doughnut-looking cushions between our vertebrae are subject to injury and overall wear and tear. As we age, they dehydrate, become stiff, and sometimes balloon out and irritate neighboring nerve roots. Traumatic accidents and sudden movements can also put too much pressure on a disc and cause it to rupture, protrude, and create pain. While herniated disc symptoms vary, people can experience shooting pain down their legs.
Just hearing the words bulging disc can sound scary for some people because many assume that it means that they need back surgery. But Dr. Rifkin says this isnt often the case in fact, a disc abnormality doesn’t always mean trouble.
Most back pain is not about , he says. If you did spine MRIs on 100 patients over the age of 50, many would have disc problems, but no pain. So it is important to realize that surgery is only indicated for a relatively small proportion of back pain.
Causes Of Premature Ejaculation
Various psychological and physical factors can cause a man to suddenly experience premature ejaculation.
Common physical causes include:
- relationship problems
- anxiety about sexual performance
Itâs possible, but less common, for a man to have always experienced premature ejaculation since becoming sexually active. A number of possible causes for this are:
- conditioning itâs possible that early sexual experiences can influence future sexual behaviour. For example, if a teenager conditions himself to ejaculate quickly to avoid being caught masturbating, it may later be difficult to break the habit
- a traumatic sexual experiencefrom childhood this can range from being caught masturbating to sexual abuse
- a strict upbringing and beliefs about sex
- biological reasons some men may find their penis is extra sensitive
You May Like: Mayo Clinic Low Back Pain Exercises
Does Prostate Cancer Affect Sexual Function
Prostate cancer practically does not affect erectile function . However, all cancer treatments cause ED. Radical prostatectomy -no matter what method applied- causes ED in most men. The only possibility to have post-operative erections is when erectile nerves have been preserved. This is feasible to achieve with both open surgery and endoscopic procedures . With regard to erectile preservation, no superiority has been documented so far between laparoscopic and robotis surgery, as they both give similar results. As for radiation, this will also ultimately affect erectile function. Lastly, drugs for advanced prostate cancer also cause full ED. The only solution may be their intermittent use or intrapenile injections to cause erection. However, in men with good life expectancy, penile prosthesis offers an expensive but excellent solution.
How Common Is Prostatitis
Prostatitis is the most common urinary tract problem for men younger than age 50 and the third most common urinary tract problem for men older than age 50.1 Prostatitis accounts for about two million visits to health care providers in the United States each year.2
Chronic prostatitis or chronic pelvic pain syndrome is
- the most common and least understood form of prostatitis.
- can occur in men of any age group.
- affects 10 to 15 percent of the U.S. male population.3
Don’t Miss: Advil Vs Ibuprofen For Back Pain
New Research Is Helping Couples Find The Most Comfortable Sexual Positions To Minimize Their Pain
Della Volpe K. Improving the Sex Lives of Patients With Chronic Pain. Pract Pain Manag. 2015 15.
Sexual problems affect an alarming number of patients with chronic pain, yet are an overlooked and undertreated aspect of care. While sexual health often is discussed with patients in the context of infectious diseases, these discussions do not occur often in the management of musculoskeletal disability.
Fortunately, there are a variety of strategies to help physicians discuss sexual function and make sex satisfying again for patients with chronic pain.
Sexual dysfunction in this population may stem from various causes, including pain exacerbation during sexual activity, lack of arousal, lack of orgasm, sexual issues secondary to the use of opioids and other commonly-used medications , a history of sexual abuse, and intimacy/communication issues.¹³
Frequent Sex May Be Protective
Hence, not until very recently, the mainstream hypothesis had been too much sex might provoke the development of prostate cancer but a recently published research study thinks the direct opposite, postulating that frequent sex may be a protective factor in prostate cancer.
The findings, published in the April 7 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association and reviewed on webmd.com, are based on data collected from nearly 30,000 predominately white men aged 46 to 81.
At the start of the study, men provided information on ejaculation frequency in their 20s, 40s, and in the previous year . Ejaculation frequency included sexual intercourse, masturbation, and nighttime ejaculations that can occur during sleep. The men were then monitored for eight years.
Ordinarily, researchers found most categories of ejaculation frequency were unrelated to prostate cancer risk. But when they looked at men in the highest category of ejaculation frequency , they found evidence of a protective effect.
According to Michael Leitzmann, MD, an investigator at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, USA, who conducted the research during a post-doctoral fellowship at Harvard University, when you look at the data in a little bit more detail, you do see that not only is there not an increased risk, but there is potentially even the possibility of a slight decrease in risk with high ejaculation frequency.
Read Also: Prostate Cancer Ruined My Marriage
Also Check: Aleve Good For Back Pain
Science Based Recommendations And How Therapy Can Help
Does sex give you a backache? Do you avoid sex due to your low back pain?
If you are thinking YES, you are not alone. In a study by Bahouq et al. in 2013, 81% of clients with low back pain reported sexual problems and 66% of those clients reported never bringing the subject up with their doctor. As we all know, sex is an important activity for many. Todays post will shine a light on the latest science based recommendations sex positions for those with low back pain and how the therapists at Femina PT can help.
Science Based Sex Positions
In the 2014 study “Male Spine Motion During Coitus, Implications for the Low Back Pain Patient“ and the 2015 study Sidorkewicz and McGill used infrared cameras and electrodes to biomechanically test five common sex positions to analyze the strain they put on the spine. This was the first investigation of its kind.
Their investigation revealed that sex positions are not one size fit all – it depends on the type of back pain you have. Some people get backaches with spinal flexion , while others become more aggravated with spinal extension . Layered on top of this, some people experience more back pain with excessive movement, while others do not. Various sex positions can decrease or increase these types of movements, aggravating or allowing pain-free movement.
How Can Therapy Help?
The physical therapists at Femina PT are well equipped and ready to help, contact us today.